General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Let's Talk About Onstar

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 PM

I've had it on all my Chevy's and never renewed it after the free year, but I just might have to get it with the SS. I've had to use it 3 times in the past 3 months. Twice for breakdowns and the other time to call a tow truck for a friend I was caravaning with.

It does seem like a waste of money but it did save my butt in the middle of Bakersfield for the tow truck at 1 in the morning.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:01 AM

I have safe and sound pack. Got rid of my cell phone. Long distance in N.A. All the features I need. Calls in and out and better with Satelite for area coverage. Your phone minutes last for 1 year, not like phone cards.
I like it.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ecl
As far as I know the phone feature uses a satillite not regular cell towers so it is more than just a cell phone, thats why you get better signal in areas where cells dont work or are limited.
The cell phone feature with Onstar utilizes Cell towers like any cell phone. It has better range because it has a higher power transceiver than your handheld phones. The GPS feature utilizes the satelites to obtain your position.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 AM

Lmao

OnStar ....to have or to have not.......That is the question.
Some of you really crack me up........"I got it but I didn't want" .... "Don't like it..."Never tried it but still know I don't like it"......"won't use it" ....."It costs too much". If you've got it, whether you want it or not"....... Try it you might just like it. Most of you are scared of it...because you really don't know how to use it....and are unwilling to learn. (Scared of the unknown) The best one is , "GM is trying to make more money off me"...... By the way, just what is your life worth??????? To some of you, I guess not much. One of these days you are not going to be able to drive with your cell stuck in your ear. Blue tooth helps , but not everyone has that available. You have a year to learn for free........but I guess thats too hard for some. Gee I might even want to talk to Jeff Gordon some day,,, He uses his........Now where is that Pizza joint I want to try???.....Where's the closest car wash??????? How do I get where?????? Does you cell phone know where my favorite Pizza joint is? I keep forgetting This is what happens when you get to be an ole fart like me...... OnStar......Help!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 AM

yes yes yes

Originally Posted by Norsican
Are the Diagnostic Emails worth anything?
They tell you whats going on with your HHR. Most of you don't bother to check on your own........just tank'er up and drive.....
Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Whitewolf
They tell you whats going on with your HHR. Most of you don't bother to check on your own........just tank'er up and drive.....
Well, for one, I've had OnStar on my '04 Impala SS Indianapolis model since day one and like it. I've used the phone, and it sounds great. The diagnostic e-mails give me a quick glace at how my car's doing and how much life is left on my oil change.

My HHR was a fleet vehicle, turned in with 7700 miles on it and had the Onstar Delete option. I'm checking into how much it'll cost to add it to the HHR. My wife drives it and I'd like to have the extra peace of mind it would give me.

So what if GM makes a dollar or two off me. What if the car breaks down and I forgot my cell phone that day? I'll be glad I paid for it!
Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM

Got my first onstar equipped vehicle. I live close to NJ, and they have laws about being on the phone while driving, so I bought the 100 minutes for $15 bucks. when they run out (or expire), I'll link that phone to my Verizon account.
I was also stupid enough to lock my keys in my car. Called Onstar, they were unable to open the doors (like they do in their ads), so they dispatched a locksmith (eta 1 hour given). Wife beat the locksmith there by 15 minutes with the spare key, cancelled locksmith. Not real pleased with Onstar, unless something happens in the next 11 months, I won't renew.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:31 PM

I drive a heavily-wooded/hilly road to and from work. My cell phone does not work but OnStar phone has no problems at all. I have it added to my Verizon account, and for me it's worth it.
As far as the safety aspect that OnStar offers, it's something that I hope I never have to use, but having it may save my life or the life of a loved one. Just like the other safety equipment that is a part of the car.
I will be continuing my OS plan when the free time expires.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Could someone tell me what the basic Onstar is going to cost after my 1st year?

With having a 5 speed SS and with some people seeming to have fairly regular problems with no start because of the clutch sensor, I like the idea of being able to call Onstar to run a diagnostic for me other than the once a month e-mail that I receive. They have told my wife once already that the sensor was close to telling the motor not to start and I should have it checked. With me wanting the 5 speed and my wife wanting the automatic it would have been a disaster for it to have broken down on her.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:08 PM
ecl

199 plus tax for a year, for safe and sound. There are more options though here is the link.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...safe_sound.jsp

Quick Reply: Let's Talk About Onstar