General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

My low gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:46 PM

My low gas mileage

Is not the HHR's fault.

I've been getting 19-20 mpg in city driving for my first 2 tanks with the 2.2 ecotec. After seeing all the posts about 25 mpg or higher, I thought maybe my HHR has issues. Especially since it's been in the shop for electrical problems.

Well, it turns out it's just me. I've been driving a '08 Cobalt 2.2 ecotec rental these past 3 days, driving the same route and I still get 19-20 mpg! It's all the stupid stop lights, and drive throughs at lunch killing my mileage.

I actually feel a lot better now. I was getting a little peeved about the mileage...I so wanted it higher. I think in time, maybe a trip or two, I'll see some better MPGs.

Last edited by wxman; 07-09-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 PM

I have similar issues. My thing is that I drive an average of 30 mph as that is the speed limit of my daily routes. Our cars shift into the last gear around 40 or full TC lockup. So it turns out I am running around town at about 2500 RPM. On the freeway, Im getting high 20's low 30's so I know its not broke. I have inquired about a way to lower the TC lock up but so far have been told it cant be done.
I get 16-18 MPG and approx 250 miles on a tank.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Banned

I notice if I leave the readout in average miles per gal. and have less than about 140 miles on the tank that just sitting at a stop light it will lose a tenth of mpg. Then it can take a good 5 to 10 min. of driving without a light to get it back. I have the 2.4 and if I really baby it with NO air on it can squeeze out 26.4 mpg but mostly about 25.5. If I use the air most of the time it drops to 24.5 and then I have to take it easy to maintain that. Try treating the gas pedal as if there is a raw egg between it and the bottom of your foot and I bet your mpg will go way up. I'm thinking of driving mine on the next tank as I used to drive before the shock of $4+ gas hit to see the difference. It took me about 2 weeks of the babying it to get used to it and now I find my self doing it without even thinking.
=================
Originally Posted by wxman
Is not the HHR's fault.

Well, I turns out it's just me. I've been driving a '08 Cobalt 2.2 ecotec rental these past 3 days, driving the same route and I still get 19-20 mpg! It's all the stupid stop lights, and drive throughs at lunch killing my mileage.

I actually feel a lot better now. I was getting a little peeved about the mileage...I so wanted it higher. I think in time, maybe a trip or two, I'll see some better MPGs.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM

Ahh, but I do baby it. I learned that while driving my truck previously (12mpg). It's just that I never get going fast for any distance. My average speed on the DIC is around 17 MPH.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 PM

i know what you mean. i have yet to empty my first tank on the HHR (somehow it just keeps on going) but i think my mileage is at 21 something right now, and it only got up that high since we took it on the expressway for a couple hours.

My drive to work, although super short, blows my mileage out of the water. It's a 2 mile drive to work, i ride my bike when i can, but it's too dang hot right now. So on my way to work, 6 corners, a long stop light i always hit, and like 4 stop signs. It's horrible. Also on the way there it's a ton of downhill, so that's great, but coming back kind of sucks. Although i have been getting it up to a higher gear and speeding a bit and was getting 22 mpg up the hill, not too bad since it's a huge semi-steep mile long hill. This town sucks for mileage I used to get 20 with my jimmy before i moved here, then i got 12 here. So now the hhr. I plan on getting kind of sub par city, and hoping i can make it up on trips and all that, at least 21 is a lot better... Plus unless i am going down to indy, or up to chicago, i drive about 99% city. I don't haver to take the expressway anywhere, and most of the roads are 25-40 mph.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by wxman
Is not the HHR's fault.

I've been getting 19-20 mpg in city driving for my first 2 tanks with the 2.2 ecotec. After seeing all the posts about 25 mpg or higher, I thought maybe my HHR has issues. Especially since it's been in the shop for electrical problems.

Well, it turns out it's just me. I've been driving a '08 Cobalt 2.2 ecotec rental these past 3 days, driving the same route and I still get 19-20 mpg! It's all the stupid stop lights, and drive throughs at lunch killing my mileage.

I averaged 22-23 mpg on my first few tanks of gas back when I got my HHR in March, 2007 and was slightly disappointed at getting such low mileage.

I'm not sure if it had to do with the engine break-in, old gas from sitting on the dealer's lot or a combination of things, but 15 months and 17,000 miles later, I now get 26-27 mpg on the same 13 mile commute to work (half city, half hwy) and get 32 -33 mpg on the highway, even cruising at 75 mph.

I have a 2.2 auto, I use the A/C 10 months out of the year or so and don't drive trying for the absolute best mpg... maybe yours will improve as well. You can always hope
Old 07-10-2008, 04:19 AM

Let's not forget that ethanol does not have the energy density of gasoline, and therefore, fuel mileage will inevitably suffer a bit. To what extent, precisely, is a matter of conjecture.
I might be mistaken, but I think that there is a 10 percent ethanol content in nearly all motor fuels (except diesel, of course).