General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

and now Gas leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Andrew will be back from Vacation this weekend, then hes checking for the gas smell... the inside of the car while driving stinks of gas, so gonna drive excursion till then.

Fuel gage, i watched her put in gas, i did the math, the dash had the right level and digital amount... But park in the drive on the "hump" which raises the passenger side of the car in the air... Then the Gage says E.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:55 PM

gas odor

10/2019 yes, the fuel line corrodes in front of left rear wheel. There is a clip that holds the line, and water gets trapped, and corrodes the line. A Tech, cut 6 inch piece out, had to bend new piece slightly with a pipe bender, added a couple of ferrules and brass nuts now good as new.

fairly common problem

30 minute repair. (like a brake line repair)
Old 01-16-2020, 08:21 AM

Smells of gas

Originally Posted by SwaintaN
Ok, so noticed it earlier in the day that i smelled gas while kiddo was swapping batteries. but didnt see a drip or anything on the ground.

put gas in, drove to watch the fireworks, man o man, rear driver side tire you can smell gas really strong, buddy climbed under and cant find it dripping.

so we said screw it, watched the fireworks went back to the car and opened the hatch, and BAM in the face is strong gas odor.

so where would you guys start inspecting?
I have read that if you fill the gas tank to full this is the problem the other problem could be the gas cap is just old and not sealing properly. I just purchased my HHR yesterday 01/15/2020 I filled it up and it smells of gas my entire garage I had to open the garage before I started it just to make sure I didn't blow up the place.
checked for leaks non found.

Last edited by LjinTucson; 01-16-2020 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-16-2020, 09:50 AM

Hi Lj, to the forums!

Read this thread again, your problem is much more likely to be a leaky vapor line.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 01-16-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, Read here,

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...follies-62310/

the fuel lines are most likely the source of the smell of fuel in your garage.
not very expensive or hard to replace them front to back
Old 01-18-2020, 10:39 AM

Havent really dived into it much more. But I did find rubber hose, connected to the metal lines. This was in front of rear driver tire. Along with when I was doing all the work to it, i noticed the rear driver wheel well was taking off (missing the pins to hold it in, so i replaced em).

Side note, when the local dealer fixed the recall EPS and pulled forget to hook a sensor back up.. It did leak gas then... I think it was the MAF sensor that they left unhooked; but that is the ONLY time ive seen actual gas leaking.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:56 PM

Was both fuel lines, tucked up above exhaust, near rear driver side tire.

Replaced with ss braided plug n play lines. Mpg is better now to.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by SwaintaN
Was both fuel lines, tucked up above exhaust, near rear driver side tire.

Replaced with ss braided plug n play lines. Mpg is better now to.
Good to know it was solved. Appreciate the follow-up. Hope you didn't really wait three years to fix it, lol.

No surprise it was the lines. Pretty common. Absence of drip was probably because the black insulators that caused the corrosion in the first place were soaking up the fuel long enough for it to evaporate.

A friend was working on an HHR with the same symptoms. He was shocked that I (1) predicted the problem with pinpoint accuracy, and (2) had a kit on hand to fix it.

Amazing what a noob like me can learn in these forums.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:31 PM

No didn't take years. Just didn't post much for a while, went though alot of personal things, sons death, brother death, nut house etc....

Yea the insulators they use attract water plus someone did a crap patch job then wrapped it in cheap flex heat shield.

Last edited by SwaintaN; 10-23-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:26 AM

I wonder what the dealer mechanic was doing under the hood doing the EPS recall. Nothing besides the fuse under there.

Quick Reply: and now Gas leak