General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Questions Onstar & driving lights & rear carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM

Question Questions Onstar & driving lights & rear carpet

Howdy folks,
Had a few questions,
1. For some reason my 2010 1lt hhr did not come with Onstar. Is it worth doing the bestbuy thing and have them install it? I miss having it also if they do then does the radio(xm) and right side cap on steering column need to be replaced (volume buttons and hands free)
2. Also checked the accessories info for this model and can not find driving lights from gm as an option. If this is the case is the a outlet that folks here get them from? I know the SS' had them so they must be available.
3. Trying to locate the carpet that goes in the rear of the car/truck/van
I called my local dealer parts person and they said $300 I laughed at them saying 300 for a 3x3 piece of carpet?
Thanks for any info,
Doug
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM

OnStar

My 2006 HHR did not come with OnStar. I recently did a great deal of research and was seriously considering the FMV from Best Buy.

In my HHR I have an auto dimming mirror, two map lights in the mirror and a compass in the mirror. My research concluded I would be giving up ALL these features to do the FMV installation.

I have another vehicle with OnStar and I like it quite a lot, but I am not as willing to do this install and give up the three features I mentioned above.

I suppose it's a matter of personal taste and the navigation and other OnStar features would certainly be welcomed, however I enjoy the other convenience features frequently so I am not going to upgrade to FMV.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks hhrbama,
Mine has a plain no frills rear view mirror so I would not lose anything I looked at the roof line above it and the slot is there for the wire.Was surprised maybe it was a rental car? did not know I thought GM did put Onstar in all of them (model)
Old 02-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Deceased

OnStar wasn't always standard fitment on the HHR LT models, and retrofitting a factory setup is not possible due to a ton of different reasons, including a cost in cubic dollars even if it were possible.

The stand alone OnStar system is your best bet and only real option.

Here's a thread on installing factory fog lights on an HHR not so equipped.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ory+fogs+lamps

Check e-bay for the accessory rear mat, you'll find pricing much better than dealership parts departments can offer.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Thanks 843de,
I bookmarked the thread you pointed out.So I guess I will probably have bestbuy do it (onstar) they also install the rear view mirror.For now I went to lowes and got a piece of carpet black that fit in the cargo area for $20 bucks at least stuff is not sliding around when I turn a corner.I will shop around to see who can install the lights for me.
Take care,
Doug
Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 PM

I went on Bestbuy's website and looked at the Onstar fmv deal. I did the check availability and it says that I have it installed allready also my radio has a cat button when I push it it says for xm radio functions tried to look up a build sheet any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Deceased

Give this thread a read Doug and check your build tag in the glovebox for code U2K, while all HHR's are XM capable, not all HHR's have the XM module installed.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/xm-radio-activation-37519/

As to what Bestbuy's website shows, its probably going on the assumption that all HHR LT models have OnStar, when that isn't the case.