General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Recommendations for Car Care

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:35 PM

Recommendations for Car Care

What does everyone use to wash/wax their HHR?

I'm a big fan of Meguiar's.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:50 PM

Well, I kinda got into detailing lately, and since my HHR is brand new I tried some of my supplies out on my brother's Mazda Millenia which is ten years old - and get this - NEVER been waxed. I did a complete detailing today (my arms are tired). I washed it with dishwashing soap (yes, I meant to because that will remove any residue even wax). Then I used Mother's clay bar and detailing spray to get the paint back to a glass finish. It was in horrible shape and the clay bar did magic on it. Its amazing what the clay bar will clean off of a just washed car. Then I washed it again with car wash soap to remove the clay residue. After that, I used Zymol cleaner wax on the paint to get it back into shape. And after that I went over the whole car with Eagle One Nanowax spray.

He was shocked at the car when I was done. Of course all these products could be used on the HHR. Actually, I ordered some of Lane's products last week to try:

http://www.lanescarproducts.com/

I heard they were good. Seriously, The main thing is to get the paint in good order, most good wax products are going to be just fine, but if the underlying paint is crappy, you won't achieve good results.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:53 PM

Here's a thread that has quite a few responses. Most of the discussions on car care products are on the Appearance board.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Founding Member

UltraMicroFiber

CLICK HERE for an excellent article by UltraMicroFiber on how to wash your HHR! It's a lenghtly article, well worth reading. I never realized washing a car was so involved!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the links!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Founding Member

Super detailing

If yout hink you do a good job on washing your car, check this fella out.
CJ had posted this last week for us.
Super Wash
Old 06-18-2006, 06:57 PM

I tried Zaino and was amazed

I have been detailing my cars for over 50 years (it usually takes me 3 full days to do the job properly) and when I got the shipment of Zaino and read the insturctions, I was about to return it - but what the heck, lets give it a try.

I first used it on my 89 Lincoln Town 2 months ago - this car has not seen the garage since that day and after I washed it today, it was just as about as sharp as that day 2 months ago. - I little of the spray enhancer Z6 and wow....and the finish was super smooth - also bird droppings do not stick - they just wash off

Two weeks ago, I clay barred my 6 week old HHR and then I applied 3 coats of Z2 followed by an application of Z6. I could not believe the results.

I will continue to make test comparisons between Maquires an Zaino (I drive a limo stretch) and I am going to finish 1/2 of the hood with Maquires and the other half with Zaino - This car is commercially washed at least 5 times a week - unfortunately we will have to wait till August or September to evaluate the results. - I will post then.:twothumbs