General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

The Red Sled Gets Serviced - Sunroof Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 AM

I have this same Issues with the loud squealing.. Only thing is it doesn't do it all the time. Maybe every one in 10 time's. I also use my Sunroof all most daily when the weather is decent.

I haven't taken it the dealer yet. In fear it won't do it for them. Which judging by the squealing being so random would happen.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM

I have the sunroof open all the time and it is the first thing I do when I get in--open it.
The few times it has squeaked, I take it as my que to wash the car with water!
It only gets 'washed" maybe once a month...

Seriously, to me it means it is dirty and that's why it squeaks.

I did have it replaced last month when a side piece broke and I think it has squeaked once.

Not an issue for me and don't think it is paint???

@
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM

Its not the paint, it is some metal in the structure under the body... but it is painted metal. To remove the little bit of metal that is causing the problem they have to grind it out and that means getting into the paint.

It has been offered as a free replacement. I'll probably go for it in the next couple months, they said it is a 3 day procedure.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Founding Member

Only 2mm is filed off the downturn flange on the rear of the roof. A metal file is used and NO grinding with a grinder should be necessary. You then use touch up paint on the bare metal.

Name:  080867004.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  12.9 KB

The filing is done between the two arrows on both sides. This is a 1 hour repair and no dropping of the headliner or sunroof module is necessary, they just remove the glass (4 screws).

Here is the full TSB:

Remove the sunroof glass.
Important: Protect the interior of the vehicle before filing.

File 2 mm (.079 in) off the down-turned flange.
Sand down all sharp edges.
Touch up the bare metal with an approved two-part epoxy primer before using the color touch up paint.
Refer to the latest revision of the GM Approved Refinish Materials book to identify the paint systems you may use that have been engineered to meet GM standards. The GM Approved Refinish Materials book supplies all approved products, including volatile organic compound (VOC) compliant regulations recommended by the individual manufacturer, and detailed procedures for materials used in their paint system. The latest revision of the GM Approved Refinish Materials booklet is located on the Goodwrench website at www.gmgoodwrench.com

Reinstall the sunroof glass. Refer to Sunroof Window Height and Opening Fit Adjustment.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 PM

ChevyMgr! Thanks!!!

It is nice to know someone who knows what's up and can plainly show what it is. I had this idea that it was some terrible giant piece of steel!

What would you recommend if my dealer said it is a 3 day thing? Another dealer? Or are you saying, do it myself! :)
Old 08-28-2008, 01:26 PM

I took my HHR into the dealer (only one within 30 miles) with this concern. They said they could not replicate the problem. I brought it back again and they applied some spray lubricant on the rails. Still does it. Could you post the number for the TSB so I can bring it into my service manager? Have read your posts. Wish I had a good service manager like you thanks for what you do on this board.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by chevyorange
What would you recommend if my dealer said it is a 3 day thing? Another dealer?
I would call them and say you found the TSB on the internet and were wondering why they needed the vehicle for 3 days, since the total labor time allowance is 1.0 hours. If they still stick to their plan I would call another dealer.

Originally Posted by turbotim
I took my HHR into the dealer (only one within 30 miles) with this concern. They said they could not replicate the problem. I brought it back again and they applied some spray lubricant on the rails. Still does it. Could you post the number for the TSB so I can bring it into my service manager?
TSB # is 08-08-67-004. I can email a copy to you to take to them if you like. Send me a PM with your email address.

Originally Posted by turbotim
Have read your posts. Wish I had a good service manager like you thanks for what you do on this board.
I try to help others as much as I can, if time allows me to. Thanks for the compliment, but others on this forum would disagree with you. Sometimes my Irish comes out and people don't like the opinions I post. But I know how to kick the dust from my shoes too.