General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Regretting buying a HHR

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 AM

Jeez, I only read a few of the responses after the original post because the OP post was just a blatant rant...

All I have to say to the problems had, guess what... YOU SHOULD HAVE RESEARCHED THE CAR BEFORE BUYING IT!

My car has the suspension issue in the front...Do I moan and complain? No. I'll get it fixed when I can.

My rotors were warped. I upgraded them.

Blower fan ticks. I'll get around to it.

Car is part of the recall. I'll bring it in when I can.

I've had most of the little niggles that this car is known for. Do I go on the forum (meant for those of us who love our cars) and trash it? No.

I'm sorry you're having issues with the car, it sucks. It is, after all, a USED car that is now a few years old. Personally, I'd say sell it if you are so unhappy. I know there are PLENTY of people who love these cars, and someone will pick it up and love it.

Yes, the HHR has it's problems but so does every other car. You want something that'll never give you grief? Take the bus.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Isn't that the purpose of the CPO inspection? That should at least give them a clue of how it was used if they know what to look for. Then they can make whatever corrections necessary prior to selling it. If they don't make the post inspection corrections they should sell it as is rather than CPO. Otherwise it's no better than buying off Craigslist as mentioned earlier.
I have a neighbor that works for a small used car lot. The running joke with Certified Pre-Owned is that the dealer looks at the title, and says "Yup, someone owned this already".

I've lived in the Detroit area all my life, and a car around here without suspension issues is a car that has never been driven. The roads around here would wipe out a one ton.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mongo
I have a neighbor that works for a small used car lot. The running joke with Certified Pre-Owned is that the dealer looks at the title, and says "Yup, someone owned this already".

I've lived in the Detroit area all my life, and a car around here without suspension issues is a car that has never been driven. The roads around here would wipe out a one ton.
"Certified Pre-Owned" Like you said...Yup someone owned it before we got it. I'll never pay a premium for that.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 AM

I guess I'm comparing my CPO experience with another manufacturer to that of GM. I've never owned a CPO GM vehicle. I don't regret buying our HHR but we bought it new and never had any problem with them covering warrantied items. They did the flex pipe/cat, the butyl patch leak repair, the shift assembly/ignition key release, all free of charge. They even replaced a broken gas cap and dash vent. But that's a new vehicle under factory warranty. The couple of issues we've had with our CPO Benz were taken care with no hassle or charge. One was even done at a dealership that was not the one we purchased it from.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
I guess I'm comparing my CPO experience with another manufacturer to that of GM. I've never owned a CPO GM vehicle. I don't regret buying our HHR but we bought it new and never had any problem with them covering warrantied items. They did the flex pipe/cat, the butyl patch leak repair, the shift assembly/ignition key release, all free of charge. They even replaced a broken gas cap and dash vent. But that's a new vehicle under factory warranty. The couple of issues we've had with our CPO Benz were taken care with no hassle or charge. One was even done at a dealership that was not the one we purchased it from.
This is why I feel it's more of a dealership issue, granted GM 'should' oversee it's CPO program, but in reality if no one complains, no one investigates.

I do know of a few Detroit area dealers (not all GM) that have terrible service departments.

Whenever I buy used, I do my own inspection. I don't rely on the seller (or CARFAX for that matter) to tell me everything.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 PM

Man, am I itching to get my 2 cents in...

To forum regulars: Let King Aires complain. It's never fun to own a problem vehicle. We've all been there. You do the research, talk to people, read the reviews, inspect, then research some more. Test drive, test drive and test drive again. Then more research and, finally, you make your decision. You put down your hard-earned dollars (or take a loan) and are sure you got the right vehicle. But then... It can make one feel regret, anger and embarrassment. Sound familiar?

To King Aires: You win some and you lose some. Probably half of all the vehicles, whether new or used, will turn out to be problem cars. There will be lemons, even among cars known for reliability (I bought a Toyota Corolla once that had a bad head gasket. How would I have guessed?). While dealers MAY know (not always the case) they are selling you a problem car, they won't ever tell you. The shadiest ones know all the tricks. They live by their motto - "buyer beware". You can't beat them at their own game. Good luck with your next car purchase.

Your best bet: If you own a vehicle that's good to you, keep it for as long as you possibly can.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 PM

I have added 100,000 miles to the 45,000 on my 2011 when I got it from Carmax. The only problem I've had was the sticky shifter solenoid in the cold (WD40 fixed it).

I think that Carmax actually does do the checklist, there were things obviously addressed before I looked at it. GM CPO is a crock o's---. The 2008 I got as a CPO was bought at auction, it was right there on the carfax (that did not include the near total accident).

Turns out they charge $700 more than KBB for the CPO label.

What confused me was the original "rant" implied no satisfaction was coming, then suddenly 4 or 5 pages in it's going to the shop for covered repairs.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 PM

I wonder if the DIC / ECM was replaced with a wreck or shaddy GM parts person who failed to document tbe mileage.....
Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 PM

Only issue I have with King is his wholesale writeoff of GM over a bum used car.

It happens. Happens to everyone sooner or later.

I understand being pissed, but realistically any manufacturer could have the same problem.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I have added 100,000 miles to the 45,000 on my 2011 when I got it from Carmax
A driving machine you are. How does one put THAT many miles on a 2011? Couldn't do it even if I tried. Amazing.

From all the looking I did before settling on a 11 HHR, this is what swayed me the most: My local car parts store has a panel version that they use for parts delivery. The delivery guy said "Yeah, we've owned that since we opened up. Maybe 4 years, now. We haven't had any problems that I can recall." So I bought one.

For me, however, the jury is still out.

Quick Reply: Regretting buying a HHR