General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Remote start not working in really cold temps

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:34 PM

Remote start not working in really cold temps

Pretty cold in Detroit area today. IT was 5 below zero this morning when I attempted to remote start my 2007 HHR today. The battery is 4 years old and I believe in good condition. I hit LOCK, got the parking light flash, hit the start button on the fob, got the parking light flash again but it did not start and the parking lights did not stay on as normal. Put on shoes and jacket and it started with the key fine, though cranked a tad slow.

It warmed up at least 10 minutes, drove 15 minutes to work. Turned it off, got out of car and it remote started fine. Tried it from office a couple hours later just to see and it did not start.

So I'm thinking it runs some little self diagnostics before start and if it sees something below a certain limit, it wont allow it to start as a self preservation tool. I know for a fact that if the system pops the check engine light, it will not remote start.

Any experience, suggestions, ideas??

THanks!
Old 01-30-2019, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, best to ensure the battery and alternator are working and up to proper voltage, my last two batteries were 4 to 5 years old, and 12.2 volts.
the HHR and it’s computers like to see 12.4 volts and dry tight ground connections.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Technical Moderator

It is hard to fond batteries with more than 48 month warranties. 12v is a 25% charge at 70F; 12.7V is full at 70F
Old 01-30-2019, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
It is hard to fond batteries with more than 48 month warranties. 12v is a 25% charge at 70F; 12.7V is full at 70F
Thanks. I took the covers off the battery/apare tire well and run a mini heater in the interior to help keep the battery warm. That helped with my old battery in cold temps years ago, cranking was noticeably better. Hope that helps in this case but it may be just too damn cold.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChazMan
Thanks. I took the covers off the battery/apare tire well and run a mini heater in the interior to help keep the battery warm. That helped with my old battery in cold temps years ago, cranking was noticeably better. Hope that helps in this case but it may be just too damn cold.
Why don't you just take it to your neighborhood auto parts store, and get the free battery load test. And the free charging system test also while you're there .
Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

X2 what they all say - if you are having problems starting it, something is needing attention. Get those tests done.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:30 PM

This happens to me when there is a check engine light on. The car will not remote start until you fix or turn off the check engine light, just the brake light flash.

So definitely computer controlled diagnostic of some sort.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by gio89kid
This happens to me when there is a check engine light on. The car will not remote start until you fix or turn off the check engine light, just the brake light flash.

So definitely computer controlled diagnostic of some sort.
That is correct. My daughters '09 would not remote start due to the oil change light being on. She had the oil changed and never reset the computer
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 AM

My wife's 2016 Encore has remote start and it did exactly the same thing yesterday afternoon. It was in the garage, about -13 f. I started it with the "key" and it was fine. Let it warm up for a few minutes, shut it off and the remote start worked just fine.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lethal Tendencies
That is correct. My daughters '09 would not remote start due to the oil change light being on. She had the oil changed and never reset the computer
Yep, I was aware of the remote start not working when it senses a fault and trips a check engine light. Same thing happened this morning, temp was maybe -2 and nothing. I had the battery area good an warm.

I may have the charging/battery system checked out, can't hurt and it's free. It will also be 40 degrees this weekend :-)

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Remote start not working in really cold temps