General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

say goodbye to the factory warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Unhappy say goodbye to the factory warranty!

well I got my notice in the mail that my factory warranties are running out very soon. good and bad in a way I guess. I got my 09 SS in May this year with 32K on the OD, thought I might have till mid to late next year before they run out BUT we all know that a 2009 actually came out in late 2008 most likely so thats why I my warranties are running out.
reason why I say it sucks is of course the obvious reasons
BUT good since I can now take my HP Tuners Suite and start the fun with tuning!! I have been holding off tuning till my warranties ran out, now its time to have some fun!
sucks that flippin winter is upon us though!! we got snow here in ohio today!

think we will see a lot of what I would call "second generation" owners coming into these since warranties are running out and people are trading them in, cept for you diehards out there!! like myself now!!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by paperboy72
well I got my notice in the mail that my factory warranties are running out very soon. good and bad in a way I guess. I got my 09 SS in May this year with 32K on the OD, thought I might have till mid to late next year before they run out BUT we all know that a 2009 actually came out in late 2008 most likely so thats why I my warranties are running out.
reason why I say it sucks is of course the obvious reasons
BUT good since I can now take my HP Tuners Suite and start the fun with tuning!! I have been holding off tuning till my warranties ran out, now its time to have some fun!
sucks that flippin winter is upon us though!! we got snow here in ohio today!

think we will see a lot of what I would call "second generation" owners coming into these since warranties are running out and people are trading them in, cept for you diehards out there!! like myself now!!
Warranties are initiated the FIRST DAY THE CAR IS PLACED IN SERVICE (usually the day the car is sold to a consumer), and expires at the 36 mo./36,000 mile "general" warranty and the 5 year/100,000 mile drive train warranty (2 separate warranties). In each warranty, the first "milestone" reached is the expiration date.

You might want to check with your dealer for your actual warranty expiration, since you are the second owner.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM

It does suck that most 09's powertrain warranties are coming to a end. I have left my engine factory for this reason as well. All you can do is change your fluids when you should and don't abuse your engine.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting you got a letter stating that.. I never did when 3/36 ended or even my 5 yr/100k.

But did get some letters from non-GM companies wanting to give me a Great deals on Extended warranties. I never replied to those.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 AM

I did buy mine used, but I went on to a Chevy website I found from a thread here and registered the vehicle to me and it gave me a list of the warranties and when they were expiring. This must have prompted the letter I received in the mail. I just changed the oil so good there, about to do my brakes I I have the infamous pulsing in the peddle and steering wheel. When I do the HP tune I plan on draining the tranny and putting in synthetic fluid to be safe.
October 27 is my 5yr/100m limit and I just broke 39000!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Interesting you got a letter stating that.. I never did when 3/36 ended or even my 5 yr/100k.

But did get some letters from non-GM companies wanting to give me a Great deals on Extended warranties. I never replied to those.
We bought ours new and never got such a letter other than the generic ones intended to hawk extended warranties. I suspect that is what the OP received. We even got them well after we sold the HHR....No real reason to change the transmission fluid at 39K. Even in severe service.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by paperboy72
I did buy mine used, but I went on to a Chevy website I found from a thread here and registered the vehicle to me and it gave me a list of the warranties and when they were expiring. This must have prompted the letter I received in the mail. I just changed the oil so good there, about to do my brakes I I have the infamous pulsing in the peddle and steering wheel. When I do the HP tune I plan on draining the tranny and putting in synthetic fluid to be safe.
October 27 is my 5yr/100m limit and I just broke 39000!
You already have synthetic trans fluid. In fact I believe all new vehicles, at least the last generation with automatics, have synthetic fluid.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
You already have synthetic trans fluid. In fact I believe all new vehicles, at least the last generation with automatics, have synthetic fluid.
I've seen numerous debates on other sites as to whether or whether not Dexron VI is synthetic. Enough so that I'm not convinced but that's another discussion for another thread.......
Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by db/sb
I've seen numerous debates on other sites as to whether or whether not Dexron VI is synthetic. Enough so that I'm not convinced but that's another discussion for another thread.......

After conducting an extensive search, I will defer to you and I stand corrected. As you, I found much controversy but I will lean in the direction of DELCO Dexron VI being a mineral base.

My conclusion results from Summit Racing's website. When I reviewed their listings of various transmission fluids, Delco was listed as a mineral base. Many others were listed as synthetic, blends and of course, mineral.

To the OP....I do know that several large marketers, as opposed to the boutique brands, have Dexron VI approvals for synthetic.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by db/sb
We bought ours new and never got such a letter other than the generic ones intended to hawk extended warranties. I suspect that is what the OP received. We even got them well after we sold the HHR....
I purchased mine from private owner.. I did register it with GM tho..

But my wife still gets after market warranty letters for a GM she drove & we sold over 6 years ago..