General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Service Intervals - Whose Right Dealer Or Gm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by tomdent1
lmao
Laugh all you want, but the truth of the matter is that most damage caused to engines is at start up due to dry start conditions. The more often you change your oil (needlessly) the more opportunities you will have for a dry start. I've been a mechanic for over 40 years and have used the 7,500 / 12 month oil change interval on every car / truck I've owned and have never had an oil related problem. When I tore down my 71 Vette for a rebuild (for no reason other than the 150,000 miles on her) there was absolutely no ridge on the cylinder walls or sludge build up. Other than a cross hatch hone job done to the cylinders they needed no other attention (no ridge reamer used) for prep during build up. And yes, I used Mobile-1 exclusively.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
But, one time, I asked a dealer service writer and manager, "..why are you suggesting something different that the GM Owner's Book?". They responded, "it provides better performance and longevity for the vehicle". So, GM is wrong in what they suggest in their Owner's Manual. No, but it is better. Well, can you show me some data or stats in regard to this. Well, no..but we know it is. Hmmm, that's interesting, I'll need to write GM and tell them they are misinforming consumers. Well, no you don't need to do that, we'll just provide it free this time....

Read your Owners Book, it provides the guidelines.
Exactly.

A service advisor at the dealership I deal with has been laying the guilt trip on me regarding changing the automatic transmission fluid. GM recommends changing it around 160,000 kms for normal driving, and 86,000 kms for extreme conditions.

He has repeatedly tried to get me to pay for a transmission flush ($135 + tax). I asked him why he feels that I need the flush when my mileage is nowhere near the GM mileage numbers. He says my transmission fluid is a bit dirty and "If you don't get it flushed, GM will come after you when you return the car after the lease expires". I walked away from him.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 PM

Hey if you go by the book and something happens then GM still has to fix it.
I think they call it a warranty
But that is just my
Old 08-30-2006, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by dan-d
Laugh all you want, but the truth of the matter is that most damage caused to engines is at start up due to dry start conditions. The more often you change your oil (needlessly) the more opportunities you will have for a dry start. I've been a mechanic for over 40 years and have used the 7,500 / 12 month oil change interval on every car / truck I've owned and have never had an oil related problem. When I tore down my 71 Vette for a rebuild (for no reason other than the 150,000 miles on her) there was absolutely no ridge on the cylinder walls or sludge build up. Other than a cross hatch hone job done to the cylinders they needed no other attention (no ridge reamer used) for prep during build up. And yes, I used Mobile-1 exclusively.
Okay you used mobile 1 exclusivly right. (a synthetic) Synthetics have longer viscosity life before breakdown. Why would you rebuild as motor with nothing wrong with it? Cold starts are the enemy of any engine so milage has little to do with it ,right. Why don't you change oil with every so many starts? On your motor that you tore down with 150,00 miles, do you let it idle after you start it? Do you let it idle down when you turn it off? There are so many varibles to oil life. I guess I killed my last astro work van because I changed it every 3,000. It had 180,000 on it when I sold it 4 months ago. No leaks, No burning oil, No blow by, Great compression, and get this I used Havoline 5w 30 (not a synthetic). I may have not been a mechanic for 40 years , but I have worked on everything from school busses to craftsman Trucks and Pro-mod, Pro Stock Drag cars. In the race car I help a little on now we run ams-oil. In my HHR I run Havoline, and it gets changed every 3000 miles like I was taught in auto mechanics class in high school.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by tomdent1
it gets changed every 3000 miles like I was taught in auto mechanics class in HIGH SCHOOL.

I too have worked on everything from mopeds to 29 ton Oshkosh cranes and have built car's and and drag raced most of my life. And I got most of my training at the GM training Center in New Orleans, LA.

As for why I would rebuild a perfectly good running Vette engine with nothing wrong with it? Well it's simple. I decided I wanted build more performance into it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming you because your following an oil change interval that was drilled into you, there are many people out there who follow that prescription. All I'm saying is that there is ton's of proof that shows it's very un-necessary and a waste of $$$. The oil companies are the people who came out with that recommendation, not the auto repair industry.

Even GM supports that by putting in print their recommendation to follow the oil monitor. They do this as well with their other extended life fluids. All of these other fluids have a recommended change interval well beyond what has been the common practice for years. The bottom line is. As long as you follow the recommendation as prescribed my the manufacture your covered under the warranty.

Keep in mind, as with many things in life. Just because you were taught to do something a certain way and have been doing it that way for years doesn't necessarily make it gospel. Things change over the years for many reasons...like better technology, materials, etc. -Dan
Old 08-30-2006, 07:37 AM

Oil Change

Mine is approaching 1000Km and I thought I should change it as I have with other cars in the past just to clean it up and get rid of filings , etc. Took it to the dealership and was told in no uncertain terms to wait. He said " GM has specifically set the timetable in conjunction with the Oil Life Monitor to ensure proper break in. Follow that and use the GM reconmmended oil for the first change as well. THEN I can safely go to synthetic oil". SO I guess I'll wait. Figure he cost the dealership money with that advice and that cetainly is refreshing.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gmac
Mine is approaching 1000Km and I thought I should change it as I have with other cars in the past just to clean it up and get rid of filings , etc. Took it to the dealership and was told in no uncertain terms to wait. He said " GM has specifically set the timetable in conjunction with the Oil Life Monitor to ensure proper break in. Follow that and use the GM reconmmended oil for the first change as well. THEN I can safely go to synthetic oil". SO I guess I'll wait. Figure he cost the dealership money with that advice and that cetainly is refreshing.
Although I am confident in the GM oil monitor I will ALWAYS do my first oil change on a new engine at about 1000 miles, just as you said. To keep things clean. Your dealership or GM certainly can't object to an early oil change, it's your dime. I, like many others here changed my oil at 1000 miles and went right to synthetic oil.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 AM

I was thinking of going synthetic with the HHR, but the dealership gave us free oil changes for life. So they change it every 5,000 miles for free. I cannot complain. We use the oil they put in. I have never even asked them what brand it is. Doesn't matter i figure. They would not put in anything subpar, I'm sure.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:01 AM

I'm in service and i have seen damage caused by lack of changing oil. I work in the service department and every 3k, i change the as do all of the techs in the shop. GM tells you what it can do at perfect driving conditions. no stop and go driving, just constant speed ideal altitude and temp. Do what you like, but in my opinion sludging of oil in the engine does all kinds of terrible things. just my two cents.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
I was thinking of going synthetic with the HHR, but the dealership gave us free oil changes for life. So they change it every 5,000 miles for free. I cannot complain. We use the oil they put in. I have never even asked them what brand it is. Doesn't matter i figure. They would not put in anything subpar, I'm sure.
I don't think I would do anything different if I were in your shoes. Although the dealer will use fossil oil the oils today are far superior than oils of old. It's hard to beat free oil changes for life regardless of what oil is used. And since it's the dealership doing this you'll have the backing of your warranty.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals - Whose Right Dealer Or Gm?