General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sleeping in an HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by emstess
Several websites have a tent that goes over the rear. I just saw one on autotrucktoys.com , and I have seen it on other sites.
That would make more stretch-out room with the hatch open.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 AM

HHR setup for sleeping

It is apparent that Chevy and every other auto maker with the exception of Honda Element either doesn't want you to sleep in a vehicle or they could care less about your comfort. The Element seats, front and back fold flat into a bed. What is so disappointing about my HHR is that the front passenger seat does not fold evenly flat with the rear area. It seems to me that it never entered their mind that someone 6' or taller may want to lay down and go to sleep in the vehicle. Has anyone modified an HHR for sleeping? Does any one know of an Internet site devoted to sleeping or camping in vehicles?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:23 PM

The hatch does not open from the inside. Getting out of the HHR from a prone position would seem to be undignified.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
It'll be hot trying to sleep with it all buttoned up.

Anyone have a solution to keep the windows open and the skeeters out?

Some kind of netting with sticky tape or...?

It would be bi+chin' if someone made pop-in/pop-out screens for our car windows :twothumbs
Originally Posted by deluxreverb
It is apparent that Chevy and every other auto maker with the exception of Honda Element either doesn't want you to sleep in a vehicle or they could care less about your comfort. The Element seats, front and back fold flat into a bed. What is so disappointing about my HHR is that the front passenger seat does not fold evenly flat with the rear area. It seems to me that it never entered their mind that someone 6' or taller may want to lay down and go to sleep in the vehicle. Has anyone modified an HHR for sleeping? Does any one know of an Internet site devoted to sleeping or camping in vehicles?
Manufacturer would say thats what they make RVs for...average person doesnt sleep in their car, well besides an occasional nap which is why the seat folds all the way back.....
with all the electronic controls on board dont think idling would be much a problem..now carburated cars hate this, loads up and plugs dont get up to temp to burn off residue, these are lean burn so thats not a problem and its direct inj too so theres no puddling from low air flow....just a thought.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

Of those who have slept in the HHr how was it and how many nights?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:11 PM

If you are doing this on the cheap, I would go with an air matress. If you want a more permanent solution, there are a number of companies that will make a custom matress to fit the space (search on "custom matress sailboat" - many of these places cater to the sailboat crowd, because the V-birth in sailboats all are different and odd shaped). If I wanted to really camp from the HHR, I would get a car tent: http://www.autoanything.com/truck-te...en=23566748913 If I wanted to stretch out for a few hours of snooze, I would go with the fold-up pad and leave the air running (or heat in the winter). But I have no trouble sleeping sitting up Z(well, reclining), so I snooze in the drivers seat of the SS - but wouldn't want that to be an all-night, many night solutuon.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:47 PM

I would think an air mattress would just fill up and then kinda just curl up on the edges where it's too big. I'd kinda like to get one just to have. I think it'd be fun!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:57 PM

Be kinda like a padded room.....great for drive-ins!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Lets see some pics of the makeshift traveling bedroom! I'd love to see where the magic happens...
Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Banned

Mike, i guess no one wants to show pics of the drive in motel......

Quick Reply: Sleeping in an HHR.