General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sleeping in an HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 PM

Hope its not a you can check in but you may never check out type...
Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 AM

My g/f and I were thinking about this in my panel. She can make crazy stuff with a sewing machine. If we can stand the limited room in the back to to sleep we are goin to make our own netting so the hatch can stay open if wanted.would be fun for camping.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by green hornet
My g/f and I were thinking about this in my panel. She can make crazy stuff with a sewing machine. If we can stand the limited room in the back to to sleep we are goin to make our own netting so the hatch can stay open if wanted.would be fun for camping.
Sounds cool...
Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by green hornet
She can make a net strong enough to keep the Bears out

Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM

The car with all doors locked and windows up won't keep out bears!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM

but my guns will.. : )
Old 08-06-2011, 06:13 AM

Sleeping or Napping

Originally Posted by deluxreverb
It is apparent that Chevy and every other auto maker with the exception of Honda Element either doesn't want you to sleep in a vehicle or they could care less about your comfort. The Element seats, front and back fold flat into a bed. What is so disappointing about my HHR is that the front passenger seat does not fold evenly flat with the rear area. It seems to me that it never entered their mind that someone 6' or taller may want to lay down and go to sleep in the vehicle. Has anyone modified an HHR for sleeping? Does any one know of an Internet site devoted to sleeping or camping in vehicles?
These are my exact thoughts. How disappointing is the fact that the passenger seat does not fold flat to the same height as the rear. I wanted an Element because of the sleeping accommodations. The HHR was at least $5,000 cheaper and I was misled about foot room. If both passenger and drivers seat would fold flat it would be ideal. I think the auto makers are totally neglecting a segment of the market.
Back in the day big cars had big seats, most station wagons had ample leg room and the VW mini buses from all eras were very comfortable. Hooking a tent on to the back is fine for camping but the need is for secure rest stop snoozing. I am not sure of the manufacturer but screens that fit in the window channel have been available in the past. It would be nice if they made a window channel screen with a plastic awning to prevent rain from coming in.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 PM

i've slept in mine about 5 or 6 nights now. I lay with head to the back so that my feet can hang off. I'm 6'1 and it works out fine. I lay a sleeping bag under me and use a blanket and pillow. I've taken naps in the front passenger seat countless times. 15-30 min naps.

I partly purchased it for the space it provides. I can pack stuff in and I can sleep at night if i'm out of state. hah.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
If you are doing this on the cheap, I would go with an air matress. If you want a more permanent solution, there are a number of companies that will make a custom matress to fit the space (search on "custom matress sailboat" - many of these places cater to the sailboat crowd, because the V-birth in sailboats all are different and odd shaped). If I wanted to really camp from the HHR, I would get a car tent: http://www.autoanything.com/truck-te...en=23566748913 If I wanted to stretch out for a few hours of snooze, I would go with the fold-up pad and leave the air running (or heat in the winter). But I have no trouble sleeping sitting up Z(well, reclining), so I snooze in the drivers seat of the SS - but wouldn't want that to be an all-night, many night solutuon.
I just checked out the website and they said it is not availble for thr HHR.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:38 AM
geg

I made a mattress to sleep on my HHR. Tested several times, including in cold weather.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/soft-rear-mat-my-hhr-36566/

I picked up this idea from a participant of this forum Ratracer. I think - it is a pioneer in this field. The great mattressbuilder.

Quick Reply: Sleeping in an HHR.