General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sleeping in an HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Red face Sleeping in HHR

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a HHR with the idea in mind of sleeping in the car while traveling.

A twin size air mattress fits perfectly inside the HHR with the seat folded flat and the two front seats moved up. I have done this 3 times now. My fiancé and I had the air mattress blown up at the house ( HHR interior power outlet isn't powerful enough for my electric air pump ) and placed in the HHR before the trip. (I do have a power converter to hook up to the cars battery but I don't want everyone to see i am blowing up an air mattress in Yosemite while car camping)

I am use to camping with with a sleeping bag in a tent on the ground and let me tell you guys. WOW using the air mattress in the HHR is just like sleeping on my bed. We both get a great rest night of sleep and wake up in beautiful Yosemite (we live 1 hour away).

I have car camped in snow in about 15 degrees(with several blanks on the air mattress ) and stayed warm and cozy. A simple heated blanket plugged into the outlet will also work And now the weather is warming up so ill post some photos of is car camping with the air mattress in a couple months on our next trip.

Ps a few of you have noted about Mosquito screens to keep the window/ or sunroof open while sleeping.

Here are my two cents: get an old screen cut it to the appropriate size and super clue magnets to the screen. Since the roof and doors are metal the magnets will fit and stay and cover the opening of the sunroof or windows while sleeping.

Cheers,
Happy Car Camping.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site Sportcj19. Where do you get bear proof screen ?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 AM

I also have a twin air mattress that fits quite nicely. I haven't used it as of yet, but a couple roadtrips are probably over the horizon
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 PM

I used a twin air mattress a couple of weekends ago at the Circuit of the Americas race track in Austin. Weather was cool enough and I slept very well. As good as alot of hotel beds I have been in.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by VinceP
I used a twin air mattress a couple of weekends ago at the Circuit of the Americas race track in Austin. Weather was cool enough and I slept very well. As good as alot of hotel beds I have been in.

yes, you are right. twin air mattress is really a good option for car sleeping. it provide great comfort & warm.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM

I use an air matress. I keep it under. In the reare strorage. Gt lil too tipsy at a bday party or the bar make a good place to sleep it off. Ie done it many times. Other thing is if you go the the drive in pop out the air bed and lY in the back in comfort while you watch the movie with the hatch open
Old 06-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Do you have any pics of your screen setup? Almost anything beats cold wet hard ground!! Get to cold fire the engine up for a few min. and toasty..
Old 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM

My HHR bed.

Name:  WP_20131123_001.jpg
Views: 2635
Size:  28.3 KB
Old 01-11-2014, 02:24 PM

I used a single air mattress and slept several times in the back of my HHR while traveling. It was in the winter down south with temps down around freezing, and I had to keep a couple of windows down a couple of inches to keep from being too hot inside. I'm 5'10" and managed fine.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:48 AM

I just cut a memory foam mattress pad to size and folded a sleeping bag around it. I'm 6'1'' and slept pretty soundly back there. In order to lay straight I have to lay diagonal or put down the passenger seat. lol

Quick Reply: Sleeping in an HHR.