General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sunroof drain tube upper connection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Sunroof drain tube upper connection?

I've done the searches and found them very helpful. My remaining question is this: On our 2006 HHR the passenger side front drain for the sunroof seems to be disconnected AT the back side of the drain hole.

I poured water down into that drain hole and it ran all over the inside of the A-pillar. So my specific question is how are the drain hole and the drain tube connected? And how do I access it to reattach it? Thanks for the help and info!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 PM

Looking at the diagram in the 2008 service manual, it looks like it just connects from the sunroof to a grommet located between the hinges in the door frame. The manual says the grommet in the door frame just presses in and pulls out.

Basically the full instructions for front drain hose replacement says.

1. Lower headliner enough to access part.(not necessary to remove)
2. Remove the front door.
3. Remove the instrument panel outer trim cover.

Remove the retainer clips from the side of the A Pillar
Use care when removeing grommet
Disconnect the drain hose from the module by pulling rearword.

I paraphrased from the manual

There is also a note that says in some vehicles, the hose is routed to the lower wheelhouse to drain.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:38 PM

Sounds like a major job. Shouldnt the dealer be responsible for this? Obviously it is not something an owner would tamper with, so if it is not connected it must have been some defect.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:04 PM

This is out of warranty, plus it is next to impossible to get to a dealer from here

It seems like it has come undone right at the sunroof drain hole. I am hoping to access it right there.

Thank you for the info! I think I can get it if I drop the front edge of the headliner. Looks like it should not be a big deal (fingers crossed).

I was told when we got it over here that it had a sunroof seal repaired. I am thinking maybe reconnecting this side was an oversight.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 PM

Just a heads-up. I pulled the headliner done at teh front of the sunroof opening as much as I could, slid my hand up in there and slid the drain tune back into the drain in the sunroof drain hole and wha-la! No more soggy floorboard! Took me no more than 5 minutes. That beats the pants off getting it over to the big island and leaving it there for a few days, getting back home and back over there!!! YAY!!! Thanks for all the help, pics etc!!!