General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 AM

TTR bar on mine and love it. The difference in the feel and handling is very noticeable. Do not have a single negative thing to say about it. I'm not pushing it to it's limits, nor am I coddling it. I like my corners, and when I get a chance to drive one of the nice, curvy roads around here, I like to have fun (safely). It really makes a positive difference in the HHR.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
TTR bar on mine and love it. The difference in the feel and handling is very noticeable. Do not have a single negative thing to say about it. I'm not pushing it to it's limits, nor am I coddling it. I like my corners, and when I get a chance to drive one of the nice, curvy roads around here, I like to have fun (safely). It really makes a positive difference in the HHR.
+1 what he said, Having the TTR 25.4mm - rides better with it than without it. I went into this purchase knowing the possibility of imbalance due to the size. But I don't push it to the extremes either. I'm a cruiser not a slot car driver - no offense intended to the slalom pilots out there!!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:55 PM

I have the TTR on now for about 2 months and I think it is great. You will notice the difference wright away and it's very positive.

I have pushed my HHR pretty hard into corners with no problem at all. Really cuts down big time on the body roll. Based on my experience it would be really tough to brake the rear end loose. I will also say I installed the Eibach Pro Springs about a month ago and it made the sway bar show it's merits even more.

"GREAT MOD"
Old 11-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Banned

I'd actually like to see some skidpad numbers before I bought any anti-sway bar for the car. I bet some people would be surprised at the results.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 PM

Installed sway bar tonight, loving it so far.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
I'd actually like to see some skidpad numbers before I bought any anti-sway bar for the car. I bet some people would be surprised at the results.
I think the point here is that none of us are pushing our HHRs to this level of cornering (skid pad), but that in day-to-day driving the anti-sway bar provides a noticeable improvement to the vehicle. Yes, I'll agree with you that if I were driving my HHR like a high-end "performance" vehicle -- or expected it to preform like one -- I would want to equip it with items that provided the optimum results and would want to see specs that demonstrated that.

My bottom line: the anti-sway bar that I purchased and installed has provided noticeable improvement in the overall handling and responsiveness of my vehicle with no apparent negative side effects.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
i agree, there are a lot of other posts for talking about what the bar will do (i think i pretty much reread all of them last night.)

I just know i'm on the fence for his and really leaning towards getting one. But when these "negative" comments pop up about an addition of a sway bar, it definitely makes me think. I can't drop 200 or so dollars on something and then not like it.
There are no "negative" comments. You just have to be aware of the fact that your car will handle more sharply and rotate more quickly than it did before. I installed the bar on my SS tonight, and the car does tend more toward oversteer. For me and anyone interested in performance, that is a very desirable and hard to achieve effect in a FWD car trait. The breakaway at the limit is smooth and just past neutral, just the way I like it. I do think a slightly larger than stock front bar would be beneficial, and I hope TTR produces one.

No way man. I go around the same u-turn every day during my commute, and I have it dialed in pro. The TTR bar allows a more tossable turn in better handling mid corner, and more power on exit.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

It's kinda like the skidpad version of the butt dyno, I suppose. Butt skidpad? That just sounds wrong.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 PM

It's kinda like the skidpad version of the butt dyno, I suppose. Butt skidpad? That just sounds wrong.
True, but I think body roll is more perceptible than horsepower. I should have timed myself going through the corner before and after.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 PM

After laying down last nite I realised my numbers were wrong,almost got back up to fix them but,well,,I was out.Anyways..the main point was to get everybody AWARE.I see sometimes people jumping on bandwagons without knowing exactly what they are in for.Its real easy to "overbar " the rear and get into trouble,especially since winter weather is coming.Generally you don't want a bigger bar on the rear then front.I mentioned I didn't know the front to rear weight ratio's as this is what started me thinking.I was thinking along the same lines that the HHR is somewhat rear heavy. I never said it wasn't a good choice for the SS,as I have one.I also have the LS with a smaller bar and it fits the package well,I don't feel one end of the car overpowering the other and thats on those "crappy" tires and stock shocks(soon to be changed).Anyways it got people thinking and talking and I'm sure a few of you are a bit wiser as questions have been asked.One worry I had was that the vendor would think I was trying to hinder sales. I had no intention of this and apologies go out to those who may have taken it the wrong way.I have a bit of suspencion time as I used to race dirt late models and spent alot of time in the books as chassis tuning is way more important the engines.If you can't get the power to the ground then whats the use having it.Anyways,I liked the way the forum went,it got people thinking............

Quick Reply: Sway Bars