General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 AM

Ya, got our minds turning. I installed mine tonight, i dont feel in any way it was a waste of money, and we dont ever get snow/ice here n texas. lol. so i should be fine this winter. the car has more get out of a uturn and hard corner. i took it around a few windy roads just a bit ago after droppin the lady off. im enjoying it. esp since it was a gift from my lady and only took 18min to install. cant beat it. i am considering some better shocks and springs next to help the overall outcome with this.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:49 AM

Theres no doubt it'll make a huge difference,all my vehicles have them and the SS gets one on tomarrow.Ive actually debated for awhile because of the bar size, if I should do this one or chose a smaller bar..but since it went on sale..we all like to save a buck!!It was too tempting.Already looking at a front bar.( that should be a fun install).Figger I'll get the meats firmly planted before GM releases the Stage 1 kit(Xmas Toys!)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:53 AM

how hard would a front one be to install.. how much is one??
Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 AM

Havn't looked into the underside details yet but a quick glance and looking at the shape of the bar(its all twisty) it looks to be a chore.Probably will need a lift to get high enoughto get the bar around the front frame and motor( bar sits behind the motor)I'll be under it tomarrow and take a closer look.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Havn't looked into the underside details yet but a quick glance and looking at the shape of the bar(its all twisty) it looks to be a chore.Probably will need a lift to get high enoughto get the bar around the front frame and motor( bar sits behind the motor)I'll be under it tomarrow and take a closer look.
okay, sounds good.let me know what you find.
you can PM me so we dont trash this tread to much.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AaronSS
True, but I think body roll is more perceptible than horsepower. I should have timed myself going through the corner before and after.
Lower body roll doesn't necessarily translate into better handling or grip. Lowering the center of gravity, changing the spring rate, and upgrading wheels/tires will give you better handling and grip. The anti-sway bar may reduce body roll, but when the rear end whips around unintentionally because the balance is off, you could find yourself in a dangerous situation.

The scary part for me is that these bars have been brought to market and sold with no disclosure of design, testing, or performance numbers. When you're bolting something to the car that was never designed into the chassis to begin with, you have to know how it's going to affect the vehicle.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
The scary part for me is that these bars have been brought to market and sold with no disclosure of design, testing, or performance numbers. When you're bolting something to the car that was never designed into the chassis to begin with, you have to know how it's going to affect the vehicle.

that is true. i hope i dont ever end up in a situation that ends with anyone hurt. i dont plan on driving it real hard/fast. i turn pretty moderatly and slow
on most occasions. i carry tools n the back for work, so i dont like them flying around.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by halfpanel08
Ya, got our minds turning. I installed mine tonight, i dont feel in any way it was a waste of money, and we dont ever get snow/ice here n texas. lol. so i should be fine this winter. the car has more get out of a uturn and hard corner. i took it around a few windy roads just a bit ago after droppin the lady off. im enjoying it. esp since it was a gift from my lady and only took 18min to install. cant beat it. i am considering some better shocks and springs next to help the overall outcome with this.
How come so long? I did mine in the dark using a flashlight and no ramps and took about 25 minutes -one-handed, was holding the flashlight with the other hand. Had a power outage just as I was lifting the front of the bar with a zip-tie. Just used one zip-tie also. I was in my garage with the door closed. Still need to test drive it though. I'll be doing that tomorrow on the road to our little G2G where we expect about 30 or so HHR plus some Cobolts in attendance.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:13 PM

HalfPanel. You already have one on the front. Sway bar comes standard on front HHR.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:47 PM
jx3

This post might help in explaining........

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...761#post222761

Quick Reply: Sway Bars