General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:20 PM

Yikes! what a mess

I spent the day tearing the harness out of the Camaro. Wires everywhere.
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

So now it's kind of like a Cahhro ???

Very nice work, by the way!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 AM

Camaro Harness

Here is the Camaro harness out and on the ground. It took 2 days to remove it. I have every wire and connector, every part of the system. I also took out the gas pedal, shifter, complete steering column, BCU and ECM. Now all I gotta do is figure out how what I need and what I don't need.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 PM

If you want to simplify the engine/trans wiring you should give Kevin a call at Crazy Diamond Performance (Shelby Twp, Michigan) 586-884-6935, http://www.crazydiamondperformance.com . They have a wiring harness for the LS's that's essentially a 2 or 3 wire hookup, and you can keep On-Star, traction control and tons of other options! It's very slick and made in the USA by disabled vets!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:11 PM

Crazy Diamond

Originally Posted by baldrodder
If you want to simplify the engine/trans wiring you should give Kevin a call at Crazy Diamond Performance (Shelby Twp, Michigan) 586-884-6935, http://www.crazydiamondperformance.com . They have a wiring harness for the LS's that's essentially a 2 or 3 wire hookup, and you can keep On-Star, traction control and tons of other options! It's very slick and made in the USA by disabled vets!
I talked with Kevin at Crazy Diamond. He is a VERY knowledgable guy and was intrigued with my project. We talked a while and it came down to this; the Ls1 can't communicate with the BCM on the HHR. The electronic language is different between an '08 HHR and an '01 Camaro. I have 2 choices, run the Ls1/ 4L60e I have with the Camaro harness OR.... Install a Gen 4 engine/ trans combo in the car and he thought that they could make it work with a custom wiring job. Financially the second option ain't gonna fly. It would be at least 12 grand. And even then it wouldn't pass California smog. So it's onward with the splicing of the Camaro harness into the panel.

On Tuesday I'm meeting with my buddy at the local Chevy dealership and he is going to print out the electrical schematic for the Camaro. Then it will be some time spent with a lot of schematics trying to figure it out. What goes, what stays, what splices to what.

Anyway thanks for the recommendation to call Crazy Diamond. They seem like a knowledgable and friendly place to do business with.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Nice job ahead of you!! I used to make wiring harnesses for a Cobra and Lamborgini kit assembler up here, lots of fun and not for the timid!!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 AM

good stuff man , only thing I see missing so far are your safety glasses on the lathe, just saying, wiring is full of fun, hope no shorts no where. the motor and fame is kewl but the wiring can be a bit$h, good luck, YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!

Last edited by papa_jo; 03-18-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:03 PM

I really like how you have progressed with your build. I plan on doing this same thing to my 2005 Chevy Malibu. I have been going back and forth on whether or not to use an S10 frame or to build a one off frame like you have. I know that building a one off frame will require much more fabrication, but with that I can keep the ride height stock looking. And with using an S10 frame, I am then increasing the ride height, and then having to make the body fit the frame.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lasater
Here is the Camaro harness out and on the ground. It took 2 days to remove it. I have every wire and connector, every part of the system. I also took out the gas pedal, shifter, complete steering column, BCU and ECM. Now all I gotta do is figure out how what I need and what I don't need.
All I can say is Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn,, I cannt wait to see her done :)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 PM

Cooling system

I need to get a few more systems dialed in before I can install the wiring harness. I need to see what's there before I can wire it. With that in mind I will begin on the radiator and cooling fans tomorrow. The Camaro radiator and fans are the same height and only 1 1/2" wider than the HHR system. I need to build brackets and cut some areas out for the hoses and tanks. Hopefully I can get this done in a few days. I'll post some progress pics as I go along.

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build