General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

V8 HHR Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:05 PM

Yeah! It Fits

I have the radiator mocked up in the new hole I cut in the front. It fits well, I have to fab and weld in some new sheet metal pieces for the sides and then I have to duplicate the lower radiator mount on the Camaro. Should be easy, just take some time. I'm glad this setup worked, I really didn't want to buy an aftermarket cooling system. Big bucks.
Attached Images     
Old 03-22-2014, 08:00 AM

It is impressive the details you have thought of and the lengths you will go to achieve your goal. My hat's off to you and continued success on the build.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 PM

More Radiator Install

Spent the day building the lower radiator mount. I took a left over piece of 2x3 rectangle tube (from the sub-frame) put it on the band saw and made it 5/8 x 3. Made some extensions for the HHR radiator mounts off the engine cradle and welded it together. The driver side is complete because I had the Camaro rubber lower mount for that side. I left the passenger side long because I'll have to get that rubber lower mount from my Chevy dealer. At the same time I'll order the upper rubber mounts and adapt them to the top. The very best news about using the Camaro cooling system (besides 1. the cost and 2. I know it will work just fine) is that all the stock Camaro radiator hoses and the trans cooling lines will fit! ....I have enough design and build items on my plate.
Attached Images     
Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 AM

I'm impressed. It looks almost factory.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:00 PM

If you could restart the build knowing what you do now, what would you have done differently, or what parts would you have used instead of what you have used?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Smile Done Differently

Originally Posted by arie21
If you could restart the build knowing what you do now, what would you have done differently, or what parts would you have used instead of what you have used?
This is a very good question. Since the build has been going so slowly (16 months so far) I have been able to pick my parts and moves carefully. Luckily, I am not under any time constraints ( 8 weeks till SEMA) AND I have the people that have gone before me. By making lots of mistakes on the mule I was able to chart out my game-plan fairly well. That is not to say I haven't "re-designed" a few things along the way; the rear trailing arms are gonna get redone because I'm not happy with the amount of tire clearance I have, and you all know about the steering column / master cylinder-in-the-same-spot problem I had to work thru. I also completely scrapped my fuel cell that I had. It was a tank with a sump in the bottom....fine for a carbureted engine but no good for a EFI Ls1. I went with a new full cell (flat bottom) and an Aeromotive Phantom fuel system.

On the question of parts, I think the only future problem may be the rear axle assembly. From what I read on Ls1tech.com, the 10 bolt rear axle is no Ford 9" as far as being able to survive constant launches. I'll cross that bridge at some future time. For now I'll be content on building a Z28 in HHR clothing.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Administrator

a fun read and follow along, a tip of the hat to you and your skills sir!!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:00 PM

I saw another V-8 rear drive mod pictured on the Facebook group.
It is Silver.

Boydie
Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Boydie
I saw another V-8 rear drive mod pictured on the Facebook group.
It is Silver.

Boydie
And you didn't post the pictures????
Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Deceased

When you get that machine done lasater, please enter it in the Featured HHR Contest, you're doing amazing work...utterly cool!

Quick Reply: V8 HHR Build