General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What is the best 'wash & wax" for the HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with Solman and others, for a basic reason.....

When using a combined wash and wax product like Blue Coral, after a while, wax becomes layered on the glass surfaces. My experience, it causes streaks and skips during wiper operation. Then need to use a solvent, of some sort, to remove it.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 PM

I only use Meguires. I think the gold wash and gold wax.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I agree with Solman and others, for a basic reason.....

When using a combined wash and wax product like Blue Coral, after a while, wax becomes layered on the glass surfaces. My experience, it causes streaks and skips during wiper operation.
That's interesting... I've yet to notice that being an issue on any of my vehicles and I've been using the Blue Coral combined wash/wax product for years.

But I still use a seperate wax to fine tune that glossy shine.

"Blue Coral wax job sure looks pretty...
Gonna get my chick and make it out to Drag City"...

Jan and Dean
Old 05-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
That's interesting... I've yet to notice that being an issue on any of my vehicles and I've been using the Blue Coral combined wash/wax product for years.

But I still use a seperate wax to fine tune that glossy shine.

"Blue Coral wax job sure looks pretty...
Gonna get my chick and make it out to Drag City"...

Jan and Dean
So have I...until recently. Could always buy it at Costco, real cheap. Even used it to maintain my boat.

But, about 2 years ago, I started noticing streaks in the wiper track across the windshield...almost like a different color. After a while I decided it was the Blue Coral and used denatured alcohol and Bon-Ami to clean it. Took it right off. Also needed to clean the wiper blades really well. Haven't had that problem since. Probably because I changed to just a car wash soap.

Forgot to add......

loved the Jan and Dean song you quoted. But that was when the only REAL PREMIUM WAX was BLUE CORAL. Used that almost exclusively for my cars back then....it was a very difficult job that took a full day, sometimes two. I still have a can of the Blue Coral Paste Wax. But none of the liquid Cleaner/Surface Prep.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 PM

Meguirs Gold Class
Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Meguirs Gold Class
Originally Posted by dbarberaz
I only use Meguires. I think the gold wash and gold wax.
I agree!! The Meguires Gold Class car shampoo and condition is the best wash you can get,IMHO. Follow that up with the Gold Class (Paste is my preference) wax and yuor car will have a deep shine and an awesome layer of protection.
Mothers also has some very good products, there clay bar paint cleaning system is # , I used it on my 65 cadi and brought the stock paint to almost show quality,if fact I won third place my catagory (stock 60's) at the local IMPALA's car show a few years ago with it and with almost 40 year old paint!!!!

Just remember simple car bathing rules, only wash it when the surface is cool, not in direct sunlight, from the top down, small sections at a time to prevent car wash from dring on it, rinse your rag often,or sponge, washcloth, whatever you use (I prefer a sponge surrounded in terry cloth), keep the car completly wet until your ready to dry it this will prevent the hard to remove waterspots from forming, dry glass. then chrome, then use a fresh towel to dry paint, and NEVER EVER EVER EVER use dishsoap on your car, unles your are planning on waxing it as soon as you dry it.

Hope this helps, I know I went alittle overboard and stated some obvious things, but it just kills me when I see people wash there cars wrong and scratching it or something !!
or maybe I'm just a freak like that
Old 05-23-2007, 12:42 AM

We have been using Meguiar's Gold Class, but recently discovered Griotsgarage.com and are testing their products right now. We never do a combi wash/wax though. I really enjoy rubbing off the dried wax and peeking underneath!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Banned

www.zainobros.com