GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:05 AM

is the steering knuckle included in this? i swear my SS knuckle is going out so to speak, at least if feels like it
Old 10-02-2014, 09:21 AM

I waited 3 days to hear back from GM senior adviser who tells me my car does not qualify for the part warranty! She said it's only for special coverage vehicles....wtf does that even mean?!?! Here's the quote from the article on media.gm.com

"In addition, 309,160 non-turbocharged Chevrolet HHRs from the 2006-2008 model years (and several hundred 2009 models) and 96,324 Saturn IONs from the 2003 model year that are not subject to these recalls will be given lifetime warranties for replacement of the electronic power steering motor."

The VP, Jeff Boyer, is the one who made the warranties happen so I asked if I could speak to him and, of course, they said no. It just pisses me off that the initial GM rep I spoke with confirmed that the article did indeed state I qualify for a new part as mine is under the lifetime warranty. Then the senior adviser states differently. It's funny because the same part# is used in my car as it does in the ones under the recall.

It's not so much about getting a free replacement, but this could have been handled before end of day on Monday so I could have gotten the part and put it in. Instead, I've been driving this thing in downpour rains on 60 MPH highways with winding turns waiting 3 days for a callback that literally took 15 minutes. I absolutely hate GM anymore. I've been through hell and back with this car, the local dealer, and customer care. I can safely say this will be the last GM vehicle I ever own and I will never allow my wife or children to own one.

Sorry for the rant, everyone. I'm just really disappointed.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Ok ChevroletCustomerService - can you tell us exactly WHY the above member is having so much trouble getting the PS motor replaced, when GM has stated they will be covered by an extended warranty???????

If GM says they are going to stand behind the product, then stand behind it.

That said, if it was me, and I was being stone-walled over and over again, I'd just go out and buy a replacement and put it in myself. Once that was done, then I would go back to escalating the situation looking for a full reimbursement. In other words, if it is that much of an issue to drive around without power steering - replace it yourself, and worry about the rest later.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Ok ChevroletCustomerService - can you tell us exactly WHY the above member is having so much trouble getting the PS motor replaced, when GM has stated they will be covered by an extended warranty???????

If GM says they are going to stand behind the product, then stand behind it.

That said, if it was me, and I was being stone-walled over and over again, I'd just go out and buy a replacement and put it in myself. Once that was done, then I would go back to escalating the situation looking for a full reimbursement. In other words, if it is that much of an issue to drive around without power steering - replace it yourself, and worry about the rest later.
Thanks for the reply, Whopper. I'm trying to get some more answers from the local dealer. He said, if anything, they would give me a generous discount on the price of the new motor if they can't come to a direct conclusion as to why the article is stating I should be covered. Which is better than nothing.

I just can't believe one rep would say he concurred with colleagues that I would be covered, and then the senior adviser says no. Baffles me. I honestly can't remember the last time I was this upset over something.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:08 PM

I had my power steering motor recall done last 9-30-14 took less than an hr and done if in it was done I dont know where its located, (the dealer does have a good rep.)
Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by madashell
I had my power steering motor recall done last 9-30-14 took less than an hr and done if in it was done I dont know where its located, (the dealer does have a good rep.)
This is what's tricky about the whole situation. My 2006 is not under the recall, BUT according to the GM article found here it specifically states that my year of model part will be given a lifetime warranty.

Even crazier, I looked up the amount of HHRs sold from 2006-2008 and it was 302,526. The article says 309,160 of those years plus a few hundred 2009 models will be given lifetime warranty to the electronic power steering motor. Sounds to me like every non-turbo HHR (as stated) is covered under the warranty.

What's disheartening is that none of the customer service or dealer service departments are educated on this. They just want to pull the VIN and look for recalls and if it isn't under a recall they don't want to do anything. Maybe it's just me, but I sure don't know how anyone at GM could read the article and not agree that my part is covered.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by madashell
Huh?
Old 10-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Hello T 20,

If you would like us to keep your VIN and other info handy to keep you up to date with this also, just PM us and we will happy to inform you of anything pertaining to your vehicle.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Would you do that for me too? I hate my dealer where I bought my HHR. I wouldn't go back there if you paid me. Thats why I haven't replaced anything pertaining to recalls. You might be nicer, lol.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:37 PM

I think you might be saying that 'tongue-in-cheek' but, if not, remember, CCS is social media. Who knows what else might be done with your information if you give it to them.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:33 PM

So, I took my car to the dealer for diagnostics to see if it is the motor and they just called and confirmed it is. They also said the part and labor is being covered by GM but I have to pay a $100 deductible. I've never heard of having to pay a deductible for warranty work, but I'm going to find out what they're talking about when I head over there in a bit. The craziest thing I've ever been through.

Quick Reply: NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!