GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:27 PM

Evidently a link to an OFFICIAL GM document is not good enough. Here is an excerpt.

Models subject to safety recall are the:

Chevrolet Malibu: All model year 2004 and 2005, and some model year 2006 and model year 2008 and 2009 vehicles
Chevrolet Malibu Maxx: All model year 2004 and 2005, and some 2006 model year
Chevrolet HHR (Non-Turbo): Some model year 2009 and 2010 vehicles
Chevrolet Cobalt: Some model year 2010 vehicles
Saturn Aura: Some model year 2008 and 2009 vehicles
Saturn ION: All model year 2004 to 2007 vehicles
Pontiac G6: All model year 2005, and some model year 2006 and model year 2008 and 2009 vehicles
Service parts installed into certain vehicles before May 31, 2010 under a previous safety recall

Depending on the vehicle, GM will replace free of charge either the power steering motor, the steering column, the power steering motor control unit or a combination of the steering column and the power steering motor control unit. Customers who previously paid for repairs of these parts would be eligible for reimbursement.

In addition, 309,160 non-turbocharged Chevrolet HHRs from the 2006-2008 model years (and several hundred 2009 models) and 96,324 Saturn IONs from the 2003 model year that are not subject to these recalls will be given lifetime warranties for replacement of the electronic power steering motor.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 PM

Question

I've got a 2006 hhr, and was just reimbursed for my ignition problem. But now the power steering goes out occasionally. Am I covered with this recall for power steering? I don't quite understand this warranty extension. Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Did you read the red highlighted paragraph in the above post?

According to that, you are covered.....I believe. You just need the dealer to accept it.......which will probably be an issue.

However, as I understand it, you will need the car to post a code or a complete failure of the steering motor.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Power steering recall

I was driving my 2006 HHR down the road approximately 2 months ago and the power steering went out. I cut the car off and checked fuses (after running off the road). Fuses and relays were good. I cranked the car back up, and the steering worked fine. Since the, the power steering has went out numerous times...I can restart the car and it resets, but within 2-3 minutes the power steering light is flashing and it is "out" again. I talked with my local dealer and he checked and said that "unfortunately" the serial number of my car was not covered by the power steering recall. I explained to him that it is doing exactly what cars "in the recall" is doing. He said that I could bring it in and let him check it out, then pay for the repairs and if Chevrolet decides to extend the recall, I could seek reimbursement from Chevrolet. I talked to Chevrolet customer care and was told basically the same thing. This coming after replacing the 4th blower motor resistor and today the blower motor itself because of rust and wear from running on high speed. I got the water leak stopped after finding this forum and following the suggestions for repair. Looking for any advice in this matter. I have contacted my insurance company and my attorney and made them aware of the steering issue, just would like to have Chevrolet repair the car for once...Thanks https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/imag...s/icon_mad.gif
Old 05-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

GM and the dealer were correct - the 2006 is not covered by the recall. However if you read the previous three posts, you will see they are covered by an "EXTENDED WARRANTY" .
You may want to mention that to your insurance company and your attorney.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

Chevrolet HHR (Non-Turbo): Some model year 2009 and 2010 vehicles

How does one determine which ones will get fixed? My 2010 power steering has gone out several times now, but the dealer says my VIN number just shows the ignition switch repair to be done - when they get the parts. Who do I talk to and what do I say?
Old 05-25-2014, 02:18 PM

Not many got into 2010 MY HHRs. I think it was on the order of a couple hundred, mostly that were replaced under warranty with an old part number.

But you answered your own question. If it hasn't been recalled, you have determined if it's involved.

You should talk to your district GM rep. It would be covered under 3/36. I have read about 2010-2011 MY getting replaced IF a code has been stored.

Worst case scenario is: you do it yourself, part cost about $110 takes 30 minutes. Directions with pics can be found using the search tool.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
Not many got into 2010 MY HHRs. I think it was on the order of a couple hundred, mostly that were replaced under warranty with an old part number.

But you answered your own question. If it hasn't been recalled, you have determined if it's involved.

You should talk to your district GM rep. It would be covered under 3/36. I have read about 2010-2011 MY getting replaced IF a code has been stored.
Don, do you mean that since I haven't been notified, mine must be a newer part, or has already been changed? Does this assist motor typically only last four years? What is 3/36 - does that mean 36 months? if so, mine is a year older than that (2010) and was bought used. I assume the codes have been saved, I haven't had them 'read' or otherwise accessed. I have PM'd one of the ChevroletCustomerService chaps on this forum, but it is a holiday weekend so will wait on a reply.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:12 AM

No, what I mean is what I said; if your car has not been recalled then it has not been recalled. 3/36 means you 3year or 36 months whichever comes first bumper to bumper warranty.

You should start by reading the link to the official GM press release given a few posts above.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
No, what I mean is what I said; if your car has not been recalled then it has not been recalled. 3/36 means you 3year or 36 months whichever comes first bumper to bumper warranty.

You should start by reading the link to the official GM press release given a few posts above.
Yes, I have followed this post closely and the steering motor notice is not a recall - I know that. But, as you have posted - "SOME 2009 and 2010 vehicles are involved". I am trying to find out just which of those cars will be helped. The 36 month coverage is not applicable to me (2010), but since I have had problems I am hoping GM will try to assist in some way. You have stated that it is only a hundred bucks and some time (which may be annoying to those with less disposable income than you) so if you really want to help, feel free to send me any spare dollars you have laying around I will put them to good use!

Last edited by Sundance; 05-26-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: addendum

Quick Reply: NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!