GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Right on. Yeah, that was an interesting notification - I've got mine on file (somewhere...LOL). Mine is a 2006 - and it has never given an inch of problems so far with the steering motor. When I get my ignition recall attended to, I'll talk to them about the steering motor anyways, to see what they suggest. But it's not a big issue for me.

Thanks for the update and quote - that helped clarify things. :)
Old 05-10-2014, 02:01 PM

I'm having the same problem with my steering that people on here have been talking about. Called GM customer service on 4/7/14. Was told I had 2 recalls 1 for ignition and 1 for power steering. Received notice about ignition but as of today 5/10/14 nothing on steering. Called customer service back today asked about recall I was told about on steering. Was told don't know anything about recall on power steering and I must of misunderstood the person I talked too. I know what I was told now I'm being told I don't.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Talk to your dealer. You can also enter your VIN in the GM recall status website link posted here for more info.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:16 PM

I've called 2 dealership who say they know nothing about a power steering recall yet. On 4/7/14 I called GM customer service. I was told I had two recalls coming 1 for the ignition and 1 for power steering. Got the ignition recall notice on 5/2/14 but no power steering notice yet. On 5/10/14 called customer service back after asking me what the last 8 digits of my vin number was. I was told their was no recall and I must of misunderstood what the first person told me. I know what I was told.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by garyw
I've called 2 dealership who say they know nothing about a power steering recall yet. On 4/7/14 I called GM customer service. I was told I had two recalls coming 1 for the ignition and 1 for power steering. Got the ignition recall notice on 5/2/14 but no power steering notice yet. On 5/10/14 called customer service back after asking me what the last 8 digits of my vin number was. I was told their was no recall and I must of misunderstood what the first person told me. I know what I was told.
THERE IS NO BLANKET "RECALL" ON THE POWER STEERING!!!!!! IT IS A LIFETIME WARRANTY ON CERTAIN VEHICLES!!!!!!

READ THE FIRST POST.

Chevrolet HHR (Non-Turbo): Some model year 2009 and 2010 vehicles (have a "recall", please note SOME)

Thank you.

Last edited by donbrew; 05-10-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 PM

Well I just got off the phone with my dealer and GM, and neither claimed any knowledge of a lifetime warranty on the power steering. Only when I pointed out the press release here GM Recalls Older Model Vehicles to Fix Power Steering did they acknowledge that hypothetically there could be a limited warranty for power steering.

I've got a 2007 HHR whose power steering failed last August. GM can't even tell me whether or not my HHR is covered by the lifetime warranty. All they can tell me is that if it is, I may receive a notification letter at some point in the future if in fact it is covered. Only then could they begin the process of reimbursing me for the expense of fixing the motor whose failure nearly caused me to have a wreck. You would think that 3 months into this fiasco, GM would have figured out that they need to improve their customer service and handling into this issue. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have learned any lessons here.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:28 PM

I'm almost afraid to call the Service Rep at the dealer who helped me when the steering went out on our '06 about a month ago. I'll probably get the same blank stare if I asked about a "Warranty" on the replaced motor that you evidently did. Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing with these people!
Old 05-17-2014, 10:36 AM

Electric Power Steering

2006 HHR power steering keeps going off, resets when the car is restarted. Any suggestions? Dealer said there is no pending recall. Said cost could be $700+
Old 05-17-2014, 11:34 AM

If the PS is setting a code, they are supposed to fix it. NOT a recall, a lifetime warranty.

I am moving this to the power steering recall/warranty thread. Read the the first page of it.

"The company said owners of 309,160 units of the 2006-08 HHRs without turbocharged engines and 96,324 Saturn Ions from the 2003 model year that are not subject to the new recall will receive lifetime warranties for the electronic power steering motor."

Here is a link to the Official GM site.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...-steering.html

Last edited by donbrew; 05-18-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by happydaze
2006 HHR power steering keeps going off, resets when the car is restarted. Any suggestions? Dealer said there is no pending recall. Said cost could be $700+
That's the same thing our '06 did, twice in about a week. Took it in and they replaced the motor and the cost was $301.00. I had an extended warranty I had bought through "AAA", so I paid $100.00 copay. I don't understand why ALL HHRs aren't covered under this recall. There was no mention of an extended warranty on the replacement motor either?
A few years ago my A/C compressor was sounding like a siren and they gave me a Lifetime Free Replacement for it. Why not for the P/S motor?

Quick Reply: NOW there's a power steering recall on GM vehicles?! No, it's a warranty extension!