GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

problems after recall revisited.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:56 PM

problems after recall revisited.

Just had my ignition replaced and two keys given to me the end of june this year.
Friday July 11th, 20 minutes before a taxi arrived at the hotel where I would be leaving my car for five weeks, the battery died and I could not remove the key from the column.
I have had no previous battery trouble and this car has had a safety in Ontario in 2011 and BC in 2013.

I wrapped a blanket around the steering column, manually locked the door, and left the car.

I will be phoning GM on Monday, (couldn't get through after being on hold for 20 minutes Friday night.)

My new keys were tight when they were new but I have had no problems with them until this incident. I had no problems with the old keys.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

You do realize that you can't remove the key in the normal manner if the battery is dead.
You should review your owners manual on the procedure to remove the key in the event of a dead battery.
It wouldn't be the fault of the new keys. It's the dead battery.

Column Lock Release
For vehicles with an automatic transmission, the
following procedure allows the ignition to be turned to
LOCK/OFF and ignition key to be removed in case of a
dead battery or low voltage battery.
1. Make sure the shift lever is in P (Park).
2. Remove the cover from the bottom of the steering
column.
3. Locate the plunger.
4. Press and hold the plunger while turning the ignition
key to LOCK/OFF. Remove the key.
Have the vehicle serviced at your dealer/retailer as soon
as possible.

There are some pictures in the owners manual. Sorry, I couldn't get them to copy.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 AM

Thank you for the information.

Regards
ashleigh
Old 07-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Technical Moderator

"20 minutes before a taxi arrived at the hotel where I would be leaving my car for five weeks, the battery died"

I don't get it. Did I miss something in the translation from Canadian to Americun?

Maybe you mean "when I tried to start my car after it was parked over night, I found the battery to be dead"?

Valet parking by any chance? They tend to turn the headlights on.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Technical Moderator

So, since this really has nothing to do with the recall I will move it.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Same thing just happened to my daughter's car (2010 Cobalt) after it was parked for a week (ignition replaced several weeks ago). She tried to start it, but the battery was dead and then the key was stuck in the accessory position. Key came out after jumping the battery 2 days later (didn't come with the owners manual). Not sure why the battery died during the week, but it has never given any indication of decline. Hopefully, there isn't a connection to the new ignition, but I'm always reluctant to have something as critical as the ignition replaced when it was working correctly. I will have to keep an eye on it to see if it will stay charged.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Recommend this thread get moved to the problems section in case there are others with dead batteries shortly after ignition replacement. Anyone know the correct way to test for parasitic drain with a multi-meter?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dano40
Recommend this thread get moved to the problems section in case there are others with dead batteries shortly after ignition replacement. Anyone know the correct way to test for parasitic drain with a multi-meter?
May I suggest you start your own thread to ask about parasitic drain testing.
Don't want to high jack this thread, so to speak.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 PM

No, what I wrote is what I meant.

The car had been in a parking space for four hours (11pm-2:45 am). I moved the car from one space to another at 2:45 am. I turned the car off, then tried to restart the car. The battery had no life and I could not withdraw the key.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ashleighjbm
No, what I wrote is what I meant.

The car had been in a parking space for four hours (11pm-2:45 am). I moved the car from one space to another at 2:45 am. I turned the car off, then tried to restart the car. The battery had no life and I could not withdraw the key.
If it gave you no previous warning signs, it could just be a loose or bad battery connection.
Your car is a 2007, correct ? If it's the original battery, then the battery is at least 7 years old. You didn't state how old your battery is if it's been replaced.
Saying the battery "had no life" is vague. Wouldn't turn over, just clicked or did nothing at all(nothing would come on like interior lighting)

Quick Reply: problems after recall revisited.