GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

problems after recall revisited.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 AM

Fireman, my question on parasitic battery drain is related to the thread as my theory is that the new ignition switch installation could be somehow allowing current to flow and drain the battery over an extended time. If I find nothing, then I must have a defective 4 yr old battery or alternator that just coincides with the new ignition switch. I prefer cause and effect over coincidence based on a lot of years of car repair experience.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

OK.
(My apologies to ashleighjbm if we're invading "HER" thread)

If you need the correct procedure for "testing" for a parasitic drain, then I still suggest a new thread. The correct procedure is pretty long and complex in the repair manual.
Besides, this thread is under General HHR and your's would need to go in the correct forum.

Fwiw. 25 ma is the parasitic drain threshold.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Technical Moderator

I have not had my recall done yet. I have a six month old battery. Last week I left the car parked for 2 hours (I drive the car for work). The battery was dead. That is the only time this car or this battery has needed a jumpstart.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:09 AM

continued.

The battery did "nothing" by your given definitions.

I have had the car two years. I am not sure how old the battery is.
I had the car hooked up to a scanner (?) last month. Not sure if it would detect low battery strength.

I do not see dano40's inquiries as "highjacking" this thread. I am wondering exactly the same thing he has written.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Get the battery tested - they don't last forever (5-7 years is probably about average) - most auto parts stores will load-test them for free. They generally will also check the charging system for free as well.

With all the electronics in todays vehicles, we often will not see the symptoms of a failing battery like we did years ago - ie: noticeable slow cranking speeds at startup - now they either start, or just sit there "dead".
Old 07-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Ashleigh, I will find the testing info elsewhere and post back my results here. Your problem sounds more like a dead battery, similar to donbrew, since it died shortly after the car was running. It will be interesting to hear if it holds a charge after jumping.
As indicated, in case it happens again you can remove the small panel on the bottom of the steering column and press the plunger towards the drivers door to release the key. This way you can lock the car if you are away from home.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:58 AM

Thanks everyone,

when I get more info on this, I will post it and let you know the verdict.

Regards,
ashleigh
Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM

Hi everyone! We appreciate your feedback and we're working on gathering more information pertaining to the ignition recall. If you'd like for us to set up a case for you within our system, we can begin further researching your concerns. If interested, please provide your VIN, full contact information, mileage and dealership name.

Thanks!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dano40
Ashleigh, I will find the testing info elsewhere and post back my results here. Your problem sounds more like a dead battery, similar to donbrew, since it died shortly after the car was running. It will be interesting to hear if it holds a charge after jumping.
As indicated, in case it happens again you can remove the small panel on the bottom of the steering column and press the plunger towards the drivers door to release the key. This way you can lock the car if you are away from home.
Thanks. That will save me from having to copy and paste the info I have right here in front of me.
Came back from a little day trip across the bay all ready to try and help out a couple of fellow members on this site.
Guess my help isn't needed. I'll go cut my grass before it rains.

Good Luck to Ashleigh and dano40. Hope you find your answers.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Technical Moderator

Mine was not a dead battery. It just happens.

Quick Reply: problems after recall revisited.