HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

235hp auto vs. 260hp manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by rebel8ball
i finally figured it out, the auto version with less hp and no lsd is for the same people who buy v6 camaros, stangs, chargers..or the old inline 6 versions of your favorite muscle cars...its for people who want the look but thats all they want... they want that turbo, they want the fancy body work and interior but they arent driving enthusiasts, they are commuters, drivers, soccer moms trying to be hip and for people who just have never and or will never learn to drive a stick. but they gotta have that badge, that ss badge... for slightly slower
...and the people who see the value in having a transmission that is less likely to have warranty issues due to "driving style", people who ARE driving enthusiasts that feel that the standard 2.2L or 2.4L just doesn't offer enough juice, people that respect their spouses that don't feel comfortable driving a manual, business people who are constantly on the cell phone or eating on the run that simply don't have two hands available for driving while shifting, people who like the comfort of an armrest while gaining the convenience of a more accessible cupholder, people who know an automatic version will be worth more down the line since most car sales are automatics, people who simply prefer the (appropriate) sporty look / feel of the SS as opposed to the classic LS / LT look... I could go on and on. GM got it right by offering an automatic version; I just wish they offered a beefier transmission to take advantage of all 260 horses. Let's face it, GM is going to sell way more automatics than manuals. At least with both offerings, everybody is happy!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Nicely said misterjensen.

I have been doing the manual or auto transmission funky chicken flip flop in my mind for the last week and I believe I have found the answer to my situation, everyone’s will be different of course.

All the pros and cons just about cancelled each other out; so it just becomes a personal choice.

So the cincher for me, if I am reading the information right, is that if the limited-slip differential is optionally available with the manual transmission only. I live in the snow-belt on a not-always-plowed road to a ski hill and Traction Control might be adequate but I would like any extra advantage I can get.

So five speed with limited slip diff it is (for now).
Old 08-21-2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
You keep mentioning traction issues, but are willing to give up the LSD. I have not driven mine in snow (or an amount tha made up anything), but have been in lot's of hard heavy rain. Take off takes a light tough on the clutch. That's a given with any manual tranny. Personally I do not like TC of any sort, I would take an LSD anyday. Reducing power or electronically applying brakes (what most TC units do) is not like an LSD that equals the power to the ground.
Well perhaps I'm not informed here. The LSD is ONLY in the five speed? Certainly my Vibe had no usable LSD. I tried for 8K miles and it stunk. I drove a SHO for over a decade and NEVER had any problems with traction. I know a useful LSD whan I have one. Like positraction of old.

TC IS a different animal and should be a user turn on/off option.
I can drive a stick, these days I may prefer not to.

Will an HHR stick give me the traction I need in the snowbelt? If not, every auto I've ever drove has been way better than my recent bout with the Vibe's stick.

I guess I'll have to try one in bad weather and see.

My truck had TM built in to the PCM, once removed via a custom tune, it was like night and day. You don't want a stick for whatever reason, thats on you. But don't complain when it hardly drives better than the current auto you own.
I won't complain if I bought an auto SS. I would have driven it and dealt with the pros and cons. Like my SHO, I would want an SS HHR mainly for the suspension and the 4WD Brakes. I HAD to get a five speed SHO (which was immediately WORTHLESS on the market BTW) because it was all that was offered until year three or four.

I can just imagine how much TM is built into the current auto to allow it to handle 235hp. It has so much to just handle 175hp as it is. And that barely give the 2.4/auto and edge over the 2.2/5speed (if you want to call .14 an edge ).
Well, at least automatics for the most part offer the Same MPG as a manual in most cars these days.

Say what you will about folks who want automatics, but automatics do their jobs in a MUCH better way than they used to. Both manuals and automatics have their place. I fail to see how one cannot find use in both modes of shifting
It is a shame in the case of the HHR that Chevy feels not enough sales would occur in the HHR SS automatics to justify building a tranny that could handle the full output of the turbo engine. That is what grates on my mind.

Maybe the SS/auto should be called a "Sport" instead of an SS.
Yeah, that badge would do for me since it would have the suspension and brakes that really matter.

Extra HP while cool, is pretty useless after a bit in a FWD due to torque steer, and in general on our streets since there are more and more cameras and lasers out there every day. We are moving into a real police state so our days of fast jaunts are really coming to a close.
I'd rather be able to maneuver better than to have higher speed. Though that extra 25 HP will no doubt feel real nice
It's all about compromises. I'm glad Chevy has not discontinued the model. At least this is all progress in the right direction
Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 AM

I have a Cobalt, but if any of you HHR guys gets an auto SS. You could spend $500 and build the auto tranny to handle 260hp and you'll be set with a tune to maximize your power. The trans they're using is I believe the same trans as the auto Cobalts. It can only handle about 250hp, above that it will go. An auto HHR SS tuned with a built trans, bigger turbo could be a real sleeper.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Banned

I doubt the transmission is as fragile as everyone claims. They've been running 400 HP V8 transplants in old Fieros for years on the old 3-speed transaxle from the Citation days with no problems. GM probably just doesn't want to deal with all the neutral-bangers coming in with smoked torque converters.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
I doubt the transmission is as fragile as everyone claims. They've been running 400 HP V8 transplants in old Fieros for years on the old 3-speed transaxle from the Citation days with no problems. GM probably just doesn't want to deal with all the neutral-bangers coming in with smoked torque converters.
Agreed, the torque converter is the weak point in the trans. If only that was swapped I'd guesstimate you'd be clear to 300hpish.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Where are you Clare?????

I know you're biting your tongue....or "chomping" on the bit !!!!