HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Brembo's

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:21 PM

I think what was trying to be said was..don't just think any brake will hook up and work properly,,there has to be alot of figuring to get it right..theres formulas..IF you could buy a bolt on system then it would be easy as someone has already worked out all the details as what is needed..but in our case its a one off..setting them up isn't too bad if you have an understanding of brakes. Size is everything, but balance is critical.Even with a bolt on system there is a trial and error stage to get the front/rear balance correct otherwise you;ll be in for a big surprise when you really have to use the shoes.If all you want is a replacement caliper for asthetic reasons it would be easier..but you want to improve..thats a whole nother can a worms..you'd have to do both ends at the same time and then theres the added wrench of ABS if you have it, you'll probably throw it off because its set up with the existing parts so it won't regulate brakes pressures correctly with different parts. #xperiment with pad materials first,,you'd be surprised at the results.. then if you want more..you'l have to DESIGN a replacement system, unless somebody else has already did all the homework and has a proven system.....need more? Read.......
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
I think what was trying to be said was..don't just think any brake will hook up and work properly,,there has to be alot of figuring to get it right..theres formulas..IF you could buy a bolt on system then it would be easy as someone has already worked out all the details as what is needed..but in our case its a one off..setting them up isn't too bad if you have an understanding of brakes. Size is everything, but balance is critical.Even with a bolt on system there is a trial and error stage to get the front/rear balance correct otherwise you;ll be in for a big surprise when you really have to use the shoes.If all you want is a replacement caliper for asthetic reasons it would be easier..but you want to improve..thats a whole nother can a worms..you'd have to do both ends at the same time and then theres the added wrench of ABS if you have it, you'll probably throw it off because its set up with the existing parts so it won't regulate brakes pressures correctly with different parts. #xperiment with pad materials first,,you'd be surprised at the results.. then if you want more..you'l have to DESIGN a replacement system, unless somebody else has already did all the homework and has a proven system.....need more? Read.......
Woody all I want to do is replace for the asthetic reasons which will improve the appearance, not to improve the stopping and your right I am reading and looking for that balance, I was just hopeing someone in this forum had done something like this already to save a little time, it appears not so when I do locate something I'll post it for all to see.

Thanks for all the help and advice

Byron
Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 PM

Yup..thats the problem with these cars....theres alot of unexplored territory there and everybody is waiting for somebody else to make the plunge....theres not a whole lot of aftermarket support, and with the BIG3 spiriling out of control doesn't look like there ever will be other then stock replacement parts.
Heres a thought..fab up or have somebody fab up a caliper cover