SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

brembo brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 PM

brembo brakes?

Can the 09' factory brembo calipers bolt on to my 08ss? will i get any better brake performance from them.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by One Nut
Can the 09' factory brembo calipers bolt on to my 08ss? will i get any better brake performance from them.
They'll fade less, and won't be as prone to the common warping issues people seem to be experiencing. Stopping distances will be tire, suspension, and weight dependent.

I imagine the would bolt on. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't based on other cars I've worked on, but don't quote me. Wait for someone else to reply.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:51 AM

People here have done the convertion and have all what is needed listed.

The abve fade is true is you plan to really drive it hard but the stock brakes are not that bat to start with as they are the same ones they use on everything from the Malubu to Solstice.

While some can get Judder on the stock it too can happen on the Bembo. The judder is less likely because it often pad material and the lack of seating that causes the differance. Also both can get Rotor Variation Thickness issues since they both use the same hubs. THe rotors do not warp unless you over tighten them this is one of the largest falsehood on the web and with many mechanic. The majority never have brake issues and the ones who do get it repeated often because of too much latteral runout of the hub or no seating of the pads.

The biggest negitive on the Brembo is if you want to run 16" wheel in the winter as they will not fit. THat is the only real issue. Some also complain about squeeking of the pads but that is not hard to address either and hurst nothing.

The bottom line is do you want them or need them enough for the investment. Good to have but not required for most.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 PM

I have to say I find with my bembos that if I'm driving in the rain the brakes get too cold and don't stop very well at all, and don't get me started about driving in the snow with them I find them very weak. I also find that with these brakes my ABS is activating alot more then any other car I've ever had. And that is when I don't want it to or need it to. And as you've heard they are noisy too but thats a given. I also took them apart at 30,000 km to do a brake service and the retainer pins where siezed. When there hot they work amazing and they hold back fade really well I just find that in every day conditions there not the best. But I knew that when I ordered them from working on them on other cars. And you better be cleaning your rims at least once a week or the brake dust from them will distroy them. I love the look and I can deal with all of there down falls. I just thought I would put in my 2 cents before you go spending your time and money on the upgrade.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:49 PM

I wouldn't have my SS any other way than stopping with them. They do make loads of dust though.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 PM

I have seen several reviews that also commented on the cold stopping was poor. One noted unless you were hard on brakes and did a lot of highway driving it might be best not to get this option.

As for the dust there is not a SS that does not have the dust problem till the pads are changed not matter what caliper.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Don't blame the brake calipers for cold stopping problems...change the pads to a compound that suits your driving needs....this will also take care of dust and squeeks....remember, even though they are Brembos, the pads are still GM.......