HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

CGS SS Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ivtech
I will get some taken tomorrow.
thanks for the pics, it seems like it needs that plate (from the GMPP setup)around the bottom to help reflect the engine heat away from the filter. it will be interesting to see if there is any gain at all in HP &TQ with this unit. only time will tell. BTW, good pics
Old 07-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
thanks for the pics, it seems like it needs that plate (from the GMPP setup)around the bottom to help reflect the engine heat away from the filter. it will be interesting to see if there is any gain at all in HP &TQ with this unit. only time will tell. BTW, good pics
Dyno claims 11 wheel hp
Old 07-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
Dyno claims 11 wheel hp
But remember, that's with the hood up. I know, I know, ALL aftermarket intake manufacturers test with the hood up. Yep, that's probably correct. But the auto manufacturers, at least GM, do not. They test in a carefully control chamber, that provides REAL WORLD/USE numbers and the hood is down.

Also remember, the CGS intake is a "heat soak" intake which pulls air from the engine area. Obviously testing with the hood up would provide favorable results, since the heat dispates rapidly in a non-confined environment (think about the HOOD BLANKET that the SS DOES NOT HAVE....wonder why). GM's stock intake pulls intake air from the front grill/fender area. A difference of some 30-60 degrees (3-6 HP). Now think about this......why would GM include the additional cost of the tube (although somewhat minor....but multiply that times 50,000-70,000) to capture the air from the front of the engine compartment vs. from INSIDE the engine compartment?

Here's an idea....

Do a dyno test with the stock intake removed. Put a filter on the end of the MAS tub (to prevent dirt/dust ingestion) and run the dyno with the hood up. Do you suppose you could/would witness a HP increase? You bet....I've seen it done when the first CGS/HHR arguement appeared (If a former member was still participating on this forum, he could validate my statements. I provided him the info).

Realize, I'm NOT indicating you will not recognize SOME power increase with the CGS. But, I seriously doubt that 11 HP is realistic.....more like 2-4. Especially with an intake sucking air from an engine compartment that generates additional heat do to a turbo.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
But remember, that's with the hood up. I know, I know, ALL aftermarket intake manufacturers test with the hood up. Yep, that's probably correct. But the auto manufacturers, at least GM, do not. They test in a carefully control chamber, that provides REAL WORLD/USE numbers and the hood is down.

Also remember, the CGS intake is a "heat soak" intake which pulls air from the engine area. Obviously testing with the hood up would provide favorable results, since the heat dispates rapidly in a non-confined environment (think about the HOOD BLANKET that the SS DOES NOT HAVE....wonder why). GM's stock intake pulls intake air from the front grill/fender area. A difference of some 30-60 degrees (3-6 HP). Now think about this......why would GM include the additional cost of the tube (although somewhat minor....but multiply that times 50,000-70,000) to capture the air from the front of the engine compartment vs. from INSIDE the engine compartment?

Here's an idea....

Do a dyno test with the stock intake removed. Put a filter on the end of the MAS tub (to prevent dirt/dust ingestion) and run the dyno with the hood up. Do you suppose you could/would witness a HP increase? You bet....I've seen it done when the first CGS/HHR arguement appeared (If a former member was still participating on this forum, he could validate my statements. I provided him the info).

Realize, I'm NOT indicating you will not recognize SOME power increase with the CGS. But, I seriously doubt that 11 HP is realistic.....more like 2-4. Especially with an intake sucking air from an engine compartment that generates additional heat do to a turbo.

Agree with Snoopy 100%. Intake Air Temperature (IAT) is a huge factor to performance.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy

Here's an idea....

Oh I totally agree the intake sucks hot air from the engine bay, that is why I am not buying on. I am waiting for a CAI that shows real world increases.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks Snoopy for the info about dyno for an engine on an engine stand if that is how it is done in the controlled room.
With the discussion of openor closed hood I was wondering how sitting on an egine stand compared.
IMO I do not know if/how much torque increase/lose is but when I put my foot in it coming up a hill I felt more torque steer.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

try to see if you can find a carbon fiber pipe for the intake that would help you. On the other hand does anyone know if we can gt a cold air intake for the car, it looks like it comes with one stock though too.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ivtech

There are more in my gallery.
Looks like it's in a good spot to take advantage of a hood scoop/air inlet on the hood
Old 07-06-2008, 04:55 PM

I still think ur gonna need a computer tune in order to see any gains with any intake, cold, hot or whatever. And it just might void ur engine warranty.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Under hood temps,my favorite read-By Jim Bell

I am not bashing open element under hood filters,so please don't take this the wrong way.These are hard facts that I love to send people to read....one of my favorites by Jim bell!

Andy

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...AirWARNING.pdf

Quick Reply: CGS SS Air Intake