HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Honing Cylinder Liners

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:22 PM

The rings are original OEM. I think Cat Man is just wondering how you determined OEM is Nippon (as opposed to some other ring manufacturer (e.g., Sealed Power)). Currently, is seems nobody knows for sure what brand is used as the OEM equipment.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:50 PM
Administrator

The rings in your engine are OEM, apparently are marked Nippon, by the power of deduction, that’s who made the rings for Saab and GM
Old 02-21-2019, 03:58 PM

I had no idea that OEM was supplied by Nippon. I didn't see any markings on my rings to indicate any particular manufacturer. Thanks for sharing that information about Saab and GM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The rings in your engine are OEM, apparently are marked Nippon, by the power of deduction, that’s who made the rings for Saab and GM
This would need more investigation. Please show where Nippon is the ring manufacturer for the Saab/GM LNF.
I've built a lot of engines (GM, Ford, Cummins, Mack) and the only company I saw that used their name on rings was Caterpillar.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Ok, one more time, I read here that the piston rings are Nippon’s .
I don’t get to see the rings. I don’t believe they are marked.
I reread the thread and see it was a link from Dr Loch and As linked before, ZZP has the Nippon rings listed.
you can use Perfect Circle, RockAuto has Celvite and sealed power rings.
my engine guy suggests put in the best you can afford. He doesn’t have one brand preference, but different brands work better in different makes of cars.

Hastings has this information

https://www.hastingspistonrings.com/...-catalog-2.pdf

Last edited by Oldblue; 02-21-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Ok, one more time, I read here that the piston rings are Nippon’s .
I don’t get to see the rings. I don’t believe they are marked.
I reread the thread and see it was a link from Dr Loch and As linked before, ZZP has the Nippon rings listed.
Okay, I think I'm starting to see past the confusion now. Dr Loch referenced ZZP having Nippon rings. But most folks here did not take that to mean Nippon was the OEM supplier for the LNF. Instead, we all just understood the Nippon reference as one possible aftermarket option to replace my OEM rings. So most of us still believe the OEM supplier is unknown, since we've not seen any other definitive information.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Administrator

The GM engine plant here in St Catharines used Hastings. I can’t find what they use in Tonawanda NY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine
Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 AM

Just as an FYI...I went to the shop and inspected the OEM rings today. I found no markings on them, as expected. So it's unclear who made them.

Additionally, I observed the "finish" on them to try and determine if they might be cast iron, chrome, or moly. They appeared shiny as if they may be chrome. However, I suspect any type of metal ring would be somewhat shiny after thousands of miles of wear. So I'm not very confident my conclusion is accurate.

Nevertheless, I think I'm going to purchase the Sealed Power rings at RockAuto and I'll lightly hone the cylinders with a 280 grit ball hone to prepare for the new rings. Full speed ahead!
Old 02-22-2019, 07:44 AM

After ball honing clean the bores with trans fluid as suggested. I prefer to use coffee filters rather than paper towel. Coffee filters are lint free, just a suggestion.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
After ball honing clean the bores with trans fluid as suggested. I prefer to use coffee filters rather than paper towel. Coffee filters are lint free, just a suggestion.
Yes, I'll definitely clean with soapy water and then trans fluid as you suggested. I never thought of using coffee filters. Thanks for that tip!

Quick Reply: Honing Cylinder Liners