HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Honing Cylinder Liners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 AM

To be honest, for me, anytime power level of a boosted engine has been increased over the factory settings.
My SS has a Trifecta tune that gives me close to 25 lbs of boost vs the stock 14/15. The engine is stock other than the tune.
Where is the threshold to start widening the gap ?
As far as I'm concerned you are at that point. But, having said that, how hard do you drive your car? If you aren't beating the crap out of it every time you get in it you should be fine. It's like the people who have burned up the waste gate solenoids. The waste gate solenoid duty cycle is one of the parameters modified in the tune to get to the elevated boost levels. They are/were generally beating on the car every chance they got. Biggest thing is to make sure you put good fuel in it. Spark knock is a major reason for busting a piston, crushing the ring lands... you get the picture. 2009HHRSS is using E47, a blend of E85 and premium fuel and to my knowledge has not had any problems that he has brought up. If you alter the boost/load tables in most cases you have to alter the timing tables at the same time to make sure you don't get knock.

Using E85, or blending it with premium fuel brings it's own set of problems. Our fuel injectors/DI fuel system can't keep up with the fuel needed to support the additional power being generated. Most everyone playing with the DI engines have found the same thing. High flow DI injectors are available, but, they are very expensive. The other issue is the high pressure fuel pump, it can't keep up either. So you solve one issue, (with regards to a DI system) and it generates another. That is one reason you are seeing hybrid system systems, a mixture of DI and PFI. You also get a benefit with PFI in that it washes the back side of the Intake valve to help reduce the coking issues found with the DI motors.

m_ridzon, a quick and easy tune is one thing. A Trifecta tune with 25 lbs of boost vs the stock or stage tune boost levels is a major increase of the power output of the engine. In most cases you find that the people that were beating on the cars with that level of increase had problems, i.e. bent rods, crushed ring lands, busted pistons.

Another source of power that I've found has worked for me is altering the cam timing, but, that isn't for the faint of heart. You do something wrong and you have the valves getting cozy with the pistons.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:12 PM

Dr Loch
When you talk about knock using poor grade fuel, shouldn't your knock sensor adjust for the timing and fuel, so engine problems don't happen ? Granted retarded timing/fuel will reduce engine power output.
And to answer your question about "excessive" boost. No I don't use the car on a road course or Bonneville salt flats. Lol.
Knowing what you do. What are you using the LNF engine in/for ?
Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 AM

Knock sensor will pull timing after it senses knock. How much will depend on how the tune is/was modified by Trifecta. In HPTuners there is Burst Knock Retard table and a Maximum Knock Retard value that can be adjusted.

I've tuned my cars and others when I have the time and I've done a lot of R & D on what works and what doesn't. Which means I've broken parts, lots of parts.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Well, it's does make a nice paper weight with a good story behind it.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:32 PM

Yes it does. That motor had a valve spring failure..... Comp cams did offer to replace the spring though. At that point the spring were the least of our worries. That piston was laying in the bilge of the boat as you see it. It was a 355 cuin big block with a whipple supercharger. We had 2 of them in the boat, 1050 hp each.