HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Is it me or does Comp and ESC off mode change the boost regulation

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by SPPD
I swear that turning on Comp-Mode does change the power on my car. I see higher boost numbers and it does spool quicker in comp for me. Maybe I am nuts, or maybe it has an effect, but either way it feels like it to me.

SPPD
I've seen a definite difference after turning on Competition Mode. In normal driving from a dead stop or 20mph or below, 1st and 2nd gear won't go over 15psi and 20 psi respectively. In Comp. Mode though I'll normally see 20ish psi in 1st gear and 22-25psi in 2nd-4th gears. I believe the OP was suggesting holding down the TC button for 10 seconds to completely turn off TC and ESC, which is something I've yet tried on the roads.

Later
Allex
Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
I've seen a definite difference after turning on Competition Mode. In normal driving from a dead stop or 20mph or below, 1st and 2nd gear won't go over 15psi and 20 psi respectively. In Comp. Mode though I'll normally see 20ish psi in 1st gear and 22-25psi in 2nd-4th gears. I believe the OP was suggesting holding down the TC button for 10 seconds to completely turn off TC and ESC, which is something I've yet tried on the roads.

Later
Allex
Ditto, Bump, Ditto, Ditto
Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 PM

I keep hitting the rev limiter in first. I know that sounds like a joke (it's not) it's kind of annoying. Part of it is because I have been watching the boost to get a feel for what it is and not paying attention to the tach. A shift light (with both a performance and economy upshift settings) would have been nice.

But it makes a pop when you hit it. I guess I just need to watch the right gauge more. I'm seeing around 15 PSI of boost (when I am looking).

But with some more testing, the comp and ESC/Launch modes do clearly change the boost management. I really like the way they did it. If I need to go nuts it's just a throttle stab or button away.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 PM

I had Terry's experience in my automatic today...and boy was I surprised to find a "competition mode" in my car. I didn't think the auto would come with it. At light throttle, accelerating from 50 to 60 mph, I showed 1 or 2lbs. in "normal"; 5 lbs. in comp. There's definitely a screw-the-mpg difference. I like it. ;-)
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 AM

"I keep hitting the rev limiter in first. I know that sounds like a joke (it's not) it's kind of annoying"

I agree, that was very annoying. I got the Hahn/PPC tune which ups the rev limit in first and second to at least 7000 rpm (similar to all the other tunes), then set my shift light to about 6500 rpm to more than account for reaction time. End of problem.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 AM

Terryk, do you have the GM Turbo Upgrade yet? That moves the rev limiter to 6500 vs 6K (IIRC). I know in comp mode 1st gear will run right to the rev limit and shift (sometimes w/ a nice "pshh" from the BOV ). Then again, the other day merging onto I84 from Rt 8 in CT (those in the area that know of the "mixmaster" in Waterbury know what I'm talking about) I hit the gas to merge w/ traffic (Comp. Mode was on) and was surprised as hell to be spinning the tires at 65-75 mph .
Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by asanti
Terryk, do you have the GM Turbo Upgrade yet? That moves the rev limiter to 6500 vs 6K (IIRC). I know in comp mode 1st gear will run right to the rev limit and shift (sometimes w/ a nice "pshh" from the BOV ). Then again, the other day merging onto I84 from Rt 8 in CT (those in the area that know of the "mixmaster" in Waterbury know what I'm talking about) I hit the gas to merge w/ traffic (Comp. Mode was on) and was surprised as hell to be spinning the tires at 65-75 mph .
Not yet and I am not sure if I will get it (but you never know). It's one of those things that would be nice but for the price it's iffy if it's really worth having in my case.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 PM

I tried it with mine. Didn't check boost or hp when I did it but noticed a definite difference in power. It was notably quicker.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 PM

I looked at the calibrations in HPT and while there isn't much in there in the first place, but I couldn't find anything related to the electronic throttle and boost.

I am hoping they update it at some point unless more shows up using the Cobalt SS calibration. I do have the latest version of HPT.

Maybe I will read my SS specifically and see if more parameters show up. I was using some hpt files from the archives.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:48 PM

I noticed that when I got the kit installed the boost came on more with less throttle it seemed. I can get full boost with either reg or comp mode but it does seem to come on different in comp mode and does feel quicker. Is it in our heads or is it really making a difference?
Does anyone have dyno numbers in comp or reg mode?

Quick Reply: Is it me or does Comp and ESC off mode change the boost regulation