HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

New member, long time GM owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:06 AM

New member, long time GM owner

Figured I'd give an intruduction. Currently own an 08 HHR SS a/t for the wife and an 04 CTS-V. Both cars is relatively stock as it seems my modding days are behind me. Used to have a 98 grand prix GTP with everything under the sun done to it that ZZP sells. Complete L32 swap, gen v blower, northstar throttle body, 1.9 rockers with ls6 springs, 3.29 gears with hardened 4th gear, fbody big brakes, gmpp suspension, slp headers, 3" catless downpipe to 2.5 catback, 2.8 pulley. And the list goes on and on. ZZP is actually where I first discovered the capabilities of the LNF engine. When I found out my wife and I were having a baby I thought what better time to pick up an HHR. Family wagon pumping out almost 300hp (at least that was what I thought before finding out the autos were detuned). All in all its been a good car with some frustrating quirks at times. And pretty reliable with my only big repairs just creeping up all at once recently with the turbo going out and now an axle that apparently no one carries anymore. Hope to learn a little more from some of the members here.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Technical Moderator

It's not so much nobody carries parts for the SS as the parts books are incorrect. GM confused everybody by listing the HHR as a "light truck" in some years and a "SUV" in other years and then telling everybody that it is a Cobalt station wagon. That combined with the fact that the HHR SS is a relatively rare thing.

I gave you some alternative part numbers. Along with specs to match up. A really good parts guy can do the work if he wants to, try the oldest guy in a NAPA store, one that used to use paper books. They have the resources, just not the knowledge to use them.

Basically if you lie to the parts guy and say you have a Malibu you can usually get the right under carriage part.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
GM confused everybody by listing the HHR as a "light truck" in some years and a "SUV" in other years and then telling everybody that it is a Cobalt station wagon. That combined with the fact that the HHR SS is a relatively rare thing

Basically if you lie to the parts guy and say you have a Malibu you can usually get the right under carriage part.
Haha I hear you on that 1. I had a list of years and models for my grand prix to get things replaced or warrantied at auto zone cause it was a Frankenstein of parts thrown together from different gm models.

The guy at auto zone WAS convinced that Chevy never made an auto HHR SS, which is why I couldn't get the correct parts "sounds like someone modified an ls or lt and turbocharged it, that's why we only show manual axles for your car in the SS trim"

On a side note, my 04 ctsv doesn't list as having brembos at auto zone so it took a little time arguing with the parts guy to just try an 05 ctsv instead.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Technical Moderator

When I got my 2008 Autozone/Advance would not admit that it had an oil filter.

Auto parts stores have a AlGoreithm that tells them how of each part they are going to sell in a zipcode in a year; if it says "none" they won't admit that it exists to the kid on the computer.

No joke; ask the manager of the store how many HHRs are in his zone, he can tell you if he looks at his inventory program. Then ask him how many SS axles he will sell this year, answer :none. Which means he will not stock any, and nationwide they may sell 10; are they going to spend warehouse space on that? They save money by losing a sale.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Administrator

My '69 Ford Custom 500 never showed its healthy 428 Police Intercepter engine and beefed up C6 automatic or the 9 inch nodular 4:11 rear gears.
I had to pull the axle bearings and have the numbers in the part read off to the service rep at Timkin to get replacements , he laughed at me when I asked to send me two sets, one for spares. He said they never breakdown. I said great then these should be free and I'll send you the busted up ones for R&D . He sent me the bearings no charge.
It was futile to even go into my FORD dealership back then for anything, they didn't have the parts books for most of the factory hot rods!
Old 08-19-2017, 07:59 PM

I actually worked part time at an auto zone to pay off some dept. Main reason was to get parts for my cars at a discount... only to find out aside from basic replacement parts, ie brakes, rotors, air filters, and what not... they don't stock anything for either of my cars.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
When I got my 2008 Autozone/Advance would not admit that it had an oil filter.

Auto parts stores have a AlGoreithm that tells them how of each part they are going to sell in a zipcode in a year; if it says "none" they won't admit that it exists to the kid on the computer.

No joke; ask the manager of the store how many HHRs are in his zone, he can tell you if he looks at his inventory program. Then ask him how many SS axles he will sell this year, answer :none. Which means he will not stock any, and nationwide they may sell 10; are they going to spend warehouse space on that? They save money by losing a sale.
Yeah, I just noticed this... the best part... it was right there!

Y'all: DonBrew has not lost a step yet. On his toes...
Old 08-20-2017, 04:32 PM

That's why I come back after burying my car... boohoo