HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Potentiontial Buyer questions?? HHR SS, my first choice. Need that final Push.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

The guy's here can help
Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
Very fun car and fast. I give it a 10 for fun factor. Mine is 2 years old and I count the days until I am out of it. If I knew how much the car would lose value so quickly, I would have passed on it. I still owe $17,000 and the trade in is only $12,000. In 3 years when my loan is up, the car will be $3000-$5000 if I am lucky. I love the power but this is not a car that should have stickered for $26,000- $29,000...........$20,000-$23,000 maybe. Its not like GM went all out with any type of tech options or a nice interior. We got crappy plastic and a USB port that works with very few flashdrives or Ipods. The Bluetooth is fine, I will give them that.
Not bashing the car, that is not my intention......but the car was not worth the sticker imo.
And of course, no support or marketing of any kind from GM to push this car on the public.
I'm not sure I agree with the depreciation problem. You need you compare to other cars out there. The HHR is not up the with some of the overseas brands like Honda, but is above average for holding its value. But fantasma can easily do the research on that. As for the USB, I haven't found a USB device yet that doesn't work. I listen to my IPOD more than the XM radio.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by fantasma
Hi guys, yeah that reliability is a ? i', hoping I get one of the good one's...

I have a question, If I can get you guys the vin can anyone check its history for me?

Or should I join that GM forums.
The fact remains that like all other forums the ones who did have issues are the most vocal. I don't care what car it is there will be people frustated with some issues. Here I will note there are some that have had issues but they are a small perventage but they are the ones with the most post. It is just the nature of a forum as few people make post that read I did not have a Problem with my car today!

I note many of the issues here not wide spread, The greatest issue is the install of the Turbo Upgrade by dealers. It is not a hard job but many tech's did not grimp the connectors in the harness properly. The is a special Kent Moore tool to crimp and remove them and if not done properly they will come loose. GM should have just used plug in connector but if done properly they are not an isuse.

Same goes for some of the unresolved issues here. Many dealers have a tech just for turbo engines and some don't. Depending on how well they are trained will predict how well your car is repaired. My dealers tech is top of the line and did a good job on my install.

I did have some clearance issues on the Map and the AC compressor but I also was run off the road by a texter and damaged the IC. It just needed adjusted and I had no issues since. This is also why I had a older IC tube that failed as it was a repair part from accident. If it had not been for the accident I really have had no issues. The few I have had taken care of were accident related or TSB related like the Automatic loss of power brake at start up. They put the new vaccume pump on and it is no longer a factor.

The lack of marketing and tech support may be due all to the fact this car came out just as GM files for chapter 11. Also factor in this car was nearing the end of it's life. It for the most is amazing it was even built under these conditions.

Many here just do not understand what all it takes to make or build a car. I have friends at GM that have shown me what all goes in and has to be factored into the cost of a car. It is like the new Camaro. THey had to figure out if the smell of leather from the seats were improtant to owners or not. Yes the smell has to be put in as it is not natural and it cost money. GM could have upgraded this car in many areas but few here would have paid the price for it. The HHR did well in sales as it was a good value for the money. In the case of the SS they put the money into a new suspension and very advanced engine.

So odds are good getting a good one. Sorry I can't check the vin but you should be able to get it done somewhere. I would recomend getting one in stock for or with only the GM upgrade and then do your own mods. In many cases the ones already mod are hard to tell if they were done right or not. Often it can be a risk.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by mroney
I'm not sure I agree with the depreciation problem. You need you compare to other cars out there. The HHR is not up the with some of the overseas brands like Honda, but is above average for holding its value. But fantasma can easily do the research on that. As for the USB, I haven't found a USB device yet that doesn't work. I listen to my IPOD more than the XM radio.
Sticker on a 2009 HHR/SS was $26,000.......1 year later dealer trade in was $16-$17,000........2 years later,it is $12-13,500.
Thats actually quite bad.......Most cars dont hold value much anyway, but GM really goes downhill fast......
As for the USB, many people on here have had a ton of issues with compatibility. I found one that works only and Its called a Centon DataPro. I've tried Sandisk,Kingston,PYC.......
Old 10-08-2011, 02:34 PM

My SS was almost $28K but I only paid $21K new for it. Today I see them asking $18K for the ones with more miles than mine with front bumpers that are pretty messed up.

I think it has more to do with where you live than anything and use prices today are oddly hight right now.

Most of my GM cars have always sold for top dollar. I seldom trade in but even then I get top dollar.

My S10 I had for 10 years and 100,000 miles. Paid $9.5K trade in $4.5K. Sonoma Purchased for $17K drove it 12 years 120K+ miles and got $5.5 K out of it from the first person that looked at it 3 hours after I put it up for sale. Most of my cars go this way.

The LT1 HHR and LS have had issues with fleet sales. The LT1 flooded the market with Enterprise rentals that are now on the market. Also the LS had issues with discounts on the new ones that made the price of the used ones drop.

Supply and demand. While there is a demand for the HHR there is just a hell of a lot of them out there.

Now my Ford have always been cheaper to buy but I just never get much resale. You get your money off up front on them.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 PM

I gotta ask, who paid sticker for theirs? I got almost $8K off mine. Then again, who pays sticker for anything GM? We got $6500 of a new Malibu in spring. The car was on the dealers lot for 3 days.....
Old 10-09-2011, 02:56 AM

I just bought my 09 SS for 14,600 with 35000 miles on it. Sunroof , 5 speed , brembos , LSD. I had to get it in Ga at a Toyota dealer. All the used ones in my area were 18k to 22k with simillar mileage,options ect. I feel like I got a great deal. I love the car and I could not be happier. I am about to add stg 1 performance pkg,mounts and two more involved projects Retrofit Hid and a new Hi power horn. If you did not know the stock horn sucks. There are some issues in the car IMO mentioned earlier horn sucks / noisy engine / toqure steer. All these can be fixed or lived with.
I get compliments everywhere I go. It's been 2 weeks and I still love to look at her. This is my first GM car in almost 20 years. It makes me feel good I am driving an American car. I think you should get one.