HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Right rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Right rear end noise

I recently installed a new exhaust system on my HHR SS, when i was lowering down off the jack stands, my jack slipped and i think that it banged into the sway bar that rides in the middle of the rear cross member. Now when ever i make a right turn, i hear a metal to metal "bang" coming from the right rear. The only thing that I can think of is that i knocked something loosed when the jack slipped. I had it checked out by my chevy dealer and they said that everything was tight but the noise is still there. The only other thing that i can think of is that my E-brake got hung up and froze the caliber, but any other ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Sounds bad..you could try duplicating the right turn by jacking up the right side and lowering it a few times to see if you can find it. Theres really not alot back there to break suspension wise.Forget the caliper, if it was damaged you'd know it and right quick.
It wouldn't take a right turn to show up.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 PM

its a very subtle noise and very quick, I have been thinking that its possible that the exhaust is shifting to the left on right turns causing it to make contact with the left spring mount on compression? Im not sure, i know that the system was making contact with the mount but would that sound like its coming from the right rear? UGGG, I hate little noises
Old 06-18-2009, 11:35 PM

very possible. we did a larger exhaust on our '90 mustang and when we turned a corner and throttled it you can hear it knock the frame. we solved that by placing a high temp rubber washer on the frame for it to hit against. probably wouldn't have an issue but we went with 2.5" and it was tight.....so check your hangers and maybe realign the exhaust a little....
i hate those little noises too!

Last edited by HHROwner; 06-21-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:23 PM

well i made an interesting discovery today. I was looking around in the spare tire well and found a nylon strap with two metal ends just sitting in there next to the battery. I dont know where it came from but apparently its for when you have to tie down a flat tire. So that could be a definite possibility regarding a rear end noise. I took it out and im going to see if the noise is still there
Old 06-21-2009, 06:29 PM

I was havin the same noise coming from the back of mine. I removed that tire strap from the spare tire compartment and it stopped. Hopefully your noise is as easy to fix as mine was.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Same here. The strap has metal ends and makes noise moving around in the compartment. I put it under the jack on the masonite circle and tightened it down to keep it from making any more noise.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 AM
tjm

I have had that same noise, for me it only happens once in awhile, if i go t over a bump, it has only happened in town around 40 to 50 kph on subtle bumps, the noise is very quick and on the right rear side, but it is quite loud. and the only person to lift the car has been the dealership, will be talking to them about it soon here, but my dealership hasnt been all that great, i take it in to get a rattle fixed and end up with more rattles and the one i had wanted fixed isn't fixed. so i will see what happens, if they don't get it right and fixed will be taking it elsewhere.