HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS tire pressures

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 AM

Just remember, Ford recommended 26psi for the Exploder, and that it subsequently had blowout issues.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:30 AM

With the stock Michelins on the SS I had to be religious with checking pressures. I ran 32 Front cold and 30 Rear cold or it would wear the center tread really quick. My dealer inflated them to like 36 one time and I didn't realize it and in the next 6000 miles or so the centers were notably worn.

Should pass 63,000 on the stock Michelins today but they are SHOT and I do alot of interstate travel. My new tires go on next Friday
Old 08-26-2011, 07:07 AM

Start with the door sticker. The tire itself if just the max rating and good only if you like poor tire wear and a rock hard ride. I was riding with a guy in a PT #$#$#$@ and I commented on its poor ride. He said it always rode bad. He had the tires at 50 psi, per the the sidewall. Factory was 30 or 32 psi. He was amazed how much better it rode after he corrected the pressure.....
Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by jonboyb
With the stock Michelins on the SS I had to be religious with checking pressures. I ran 32 Front cold and 30 Rear cold or it would wear the center tread really quick. My dealer inflated them to like 36 one time and I didn't realize it and in the next 6000 miles or so the centers were notably worn.

Should pass 63,000 on the stock Michelins today but they are SHOT and I do alot of interstate travel. My new tires go on next Friday
you're just a freak jon

goin with the conti's? what size did you decide?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
you're just a freak jon

goin with the conti's? what size did you decide?
Indeed....I am a freak. Anal attention to pressure and rotation were the key....but I do alot of interstate. I have not babied them either with the GMPP kit.....but I'm not known to do fiery FWD burnouts It's just wrong coming from the front wheel wells.

And yes....went with the Conti DWS's in stock size. Wanted to try the Nitto NeoGen ZR's in 245 but never got any feedback.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM

I had been running in the 30-32 psi range with the stock Michelins, but just bumped them up to 34 psi. Then again, there is significant variation in pressure depending on temps. Each tire seems to handle variations differently, and it is very difficult to get all 4 tires at the same psi. I'm happy when I can keep them all within 1 psi of each other.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Maven
Tire pressures for your vehicle are NOT on the sidewall.
There are pressures there but DON'T go by them.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 AM

thanks for input guys. Have some newer rubber on the car, never knew the brand until I walked out and checked.....Nexen. Never heard of them but, they have a nice pattern and a decent feel to them......so far

Op
Old 08-26-2011, 06:53 PM

get a tread depth guage,they're cheap. adjust your pressure up or down to get your tire to wear evenly in the center and sides. if they are wearing on one side of the tire more than another you need an alignment. check the PSI in the morning (cold) before you drive, it will vary with normal seasonal temperature changes. 32-34 cold PSI should be good. rotate your tires regularly if you want all 4 of them to wear our at the same time
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Father Azmodius
Just remember, Ford recommended 26psi for the Exploder, and that it subsequently had blowout issues.
The problem was not so much with the Ford pressure but the people who failed to keep at 26 PSI. Once they drop below 20 PSI the heat really build in the all season truck tires. Add to theat an older OE or cheaper tire on a top heavy vehicle .

The truth on tires are that no one setting is perfect for all people or vehicles. Variables like type of driving, road conditions, load weight etc all effect wear. All tire and auto MFG can do is give you a mid line to set them at that work for most people but it is up to the owner to understand what is wearing where and how it is wearing. Adjustments to the pressures and even how you rotate can increase the miles and wear you get.

Most people just drive their cars and never check pressures, oil levels of antifreeze. People today take for granted the lack attention cars take today. Just like flat tires how often do you get one today. Years ago it was not unusual to get several a year or even on one trip.

Quick Reply: SS tire pressures