HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Wheel well insulation

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by geg
template you do not need.
Take away the old part. Take the stretch film and fill the vacant space (niche) around the perimeter. As a result, you'll get something like a tray. Fill this tray with polyurethane foam from a building materials store. Then cover this foam tray with the rest of the stretch film. When the foam dries - you get a dense piece to the size of your niche.
But act carefully. Do not waste a lot of foam. Foam should not protrude abroad fender, otherwise the door will not close.
The mouse will not eat foam. At the same time, the part produced in this way is practically free. You can crush it at any time, pull it out into pieces and make a new one.
Just in case, I inform you that the use of stretch films is a prerequisite. If you just fill the niche with mounting foam, this foam will stick to the surface and the heads of the bolts and you will have problems disassembling the car.
Thanks for the suggestion.

As a matter of fact I did briefly consider using poly foam, but experience with that sticky stuff decided me against it - it tends to expand quite alarmingly, and somehow manages to get into areas where it is unwanted.

Side note: I've used both foam and fibreglass fabrication methods on boats and autos, but in this particular case neither would be, in my opinion, the best solution.