HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

You might think twice about Performance seat.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 AM

You might think twice about Performance seat.

I ordered the Performance seat because it looked great and it sat well in my test drive. However, in driving over the last week, I have noticed that the bottom cushion and support foam have a metal support on each side also. That kinda presses in on your legs after a while, but more importantly, that door side bolster with the metal support sticks up high enough that it presses your leg pretty good each time you get out. I am thinking premature wear of the seat cover, as I've had a couple of cars that did that before, but maybe not this much. Its just something to consider and think about before ordering, thats why I mention it.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM

Thanks LT1GMC for the info, nice feedback, that is good to know for those that have not ordered yet. Because I have a big butt and not really tall I am wondering if the longer front bolster puts uncomfortable pressure on the bottom of your legs or other places? Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM

it be nice to rent the SS model for 2-3 days of solid driving, just to see if one wants to commit to buying it. Somehow, i doubt i could find a 2008 turbo ss hhr , even if i were to wait till fall.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 PM

chooch, you may have to try to befriend a local Chevy salesperson and get them to take it home for the weekend and then try to steal it from them.

My dealership here in Calgary just got the first SS about three weeks ago and I went and took it out for a 30 minute test drive (not really a test drive though more like a sprint session.) I didn't really care to purchase it or order one I just wanted to see how it would really perform. I didn't go easy on it or drive it under normal conditions. My dealership isn't even selling this SS model, they are keeping it as a demo vehicle and they are willing to let people actually drive it and make it work.

I think that if I were serious my salesperson would try to set something up for a weekend drive but he knows that I'm not going to buy one in the near future.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
I ordered the Performance seat because it looked great and it sat well in my test drive. However, in driving over the last week, I have noticed that the bottom cushion and support foam have a metal support on each side also. That kinda presses in on your legs after a while, but more importantly, that door side bolster with the metal support sticks up high enough that it presses your leg pretty good each time you get out. I am thinking premature wear of the seat cover, as I've had a couple of cars that did that before, but maybe not this much. Its just something to consider and think about before ordering, thats why I mention it.
This may be a size issue, and personal preference, but I hate the standard seat and really like the performance seat, so much so that I changed the passenger seat over to the same. My wife said the standard seat felt like a bad office chair, and gives 2 thumbs up to the performance seat conversion on the passenger side (very similar to the sports package seats in her 3-series). Bottom line (no pun intended) try them both and decide for yourself.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM

The performance seat is way more comfortable then the ones in my 01 Jetta. VW's have really stiff seats, and i was in a 93 Taurus before that (which was essentially a couch,)
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM

hi calgaryhhr....i was thinking of asking a salesman that. I know and have read of people doing that with various cars. I think a friend told me a few years back that him and his wife took home a new toyota matrix for a weekend test drive. How does this weekend test drive work? do you need to put down some kind of security deposit? do accidents and thefts get covered under your auto insurance? I'm the type of guy who does not want any hassles upon returning it...either i like it and buy it after returning it..and if don't, i whip the keys at the salesman and run like my hair is on fire.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
This may be a size issue, and personal preference, but I hate the standard seat and really like the performance seat, so much so that I changed the passenger seat over to the same. My wife said the standard seat felt like a bad office chair, and gives 2 thumbs up to the performance seat conversion on the passenger side (very similar to the sports package seats in her 3-series). Bottom line (no pun intended) try them both and decide for yourself.
I am 6'0" and 34 waist, so I'm not sure I am particularly large, but its not the comfort as much as the wear on the side cushion. The reason I mentioned it is because if is one of those things you don't notice on a test drive, but after a few days, so fair warning that it may not be what some would like. Myself, ANYTHING labled Performance gets my attention.