"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Adding radio buttons on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM

Smooth button switches were also available....I was asked which I wanted.

Cajun
Old 07-26-2008, 12:12 AM

in process of replacing my ls steering wheel with a leather wheel. how do i detach airbag electrical connectors so i can pass though old wheel and feed though to new leather wheel? those who have done this mod said it took only ten minutes. must be trick to releasing wiring from airbag unit.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by madbaddad
in process of replacing my ls steering wheel with a leather wheel. how do i detach airbag electrical connectors so i can pass though old wheel and feed though to new leather wheel? those who have done this mod said it took only ten minutes. must be trick to releasing wiring from airbag unit.
I don't believe anybody replaced the whole steering wheel, so complete airbag removal hasn't been necessary.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:47 PM

there are a few members that have upgraded from the plastic steering wheel to the leather wheel. all switches and connectors come shipped with new leather wheel. all thats required is removal of wheel control switch connector, airbag connectors and steering wheel attachment nut. i'm just stuck on how to correctly remove the airbag connectors. once i get the answer to that, the rest of the project with go very smoothly.

Last edited by madbaddad; 07-26-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-26-2008, 06:28 PM

Will this work for the base LS radio?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:39 PM

Yes it will as far as I know, I have done 5 so far, All have worked. Note on some you have to move wires. I don't know if you have too if you change the steering wheel. Maybe some one that has done that can jump in and say !!!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 AM

On each connector there is a light yellow or white keeper at the top of the connector that must be pulled completely out. Set them aside so you don't loose them. Each connector must be squeezed in the middle and they should pull right out.

Hope this sketchy description helps. Had I taken pics when I had mine out, I could be more descriptive.

Mark

Originally Posted by madbaddad
there are a few members that have upgraded from the plastic steering wheel to the leather wheel. all switches and connectors come shipped with new leather wheel. all thats required is removal of wheel control switch connector, airbag connectors and steering wheel attachment nut. i'm just stuck on how to correctly remove the airbag connectors. once i get the answer to that, the rest of the project with go very smoothly.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by marksand
On each connector there is a light yellow or white keeper at the top of the connector that must be pulled completely out. Set them aside so you don't loose them. Each connector must be squeezed in the middle and they should pull right out.

Hope this sketchy description helps. Had I taken pics when I had mine out, I could be more descriptive.

Mark
i did complete the leather wheel swap out prior to mark's update. the air bag removal was just as easy as mark described. it's a great upgrade for any ls or lt1 owner who wants radio controls which are included with the leather wheel.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 PM

Buying and installing complete leather wheel with radio controls is easier than just replacing switches. GMpartsdirect has them as does ebay. Check wheels for Malibu and Cobalts as they are the same. I used a Cobalt wheel on my 08. Got if from Schram auto parts for 75 bucks delivered. Black leather with all controls in perfect shape. 13/16" socket for steering wheel shaft, 5/32 allen for airbag clips, and small screwdriver to help undo electrical connectors. Disconnect fuse 56 and 60 for airbag and horn or undo battery. Should take 15-20 minutes max. Gmpartsdirect had same wheel for about 125.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 98zq8
..... Got if from Schram auto parts for 75 bucks delivered......
I live about 15 miles from Schram auto. That is were I got my flawless 16" OEM wheels for my HHR (upgraded from the "steel" wheels). I was able to go there and hand pick the wheels that I wanted. I would recommend them for any parts that you might need. No, I do not work for and are not affiliated with them in any way, I just had a really good experience dealing with them.

Quick Reply: Adding radio buttons on steering wheel