"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Adding radio buttons on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Radio doesn't matter, the vehicle has to be equipped with Onstar, CIM (Communication Interface Module), bluetooth antenna, and programming. I would have to check to see if a different BCM is used. At this time GM does not have a kit to upgrade to bluetooth.
Thanks for the reply. If a kit is ever available or if it is an easy upgrade please let me know. I am really interested in this feature since I have a manual transmission.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:47 PM

Has anybody done this mod of adding the radio controls to the steering wheel on a 2009 LS? If so were the stated part numbers the same?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 AM

Well,
I just ordered a used 08 Cobalt leather steering wheel with the audio controls from Schram auto. I don't really like the plastic steering wheel in my 09 HHR LS. I sure hope the wiring harness is the same from 08 to 09. I post my results when I do the swap. It might be awhile, it is a little cold in Chicagoland....

Edit:
If anyone (hint ChevyMgr) has the procedure to properly replace the steering wheel, that would be greatly appreciated. I don't wnat an airbag going off as I try this...
Old 01-07-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by boulos
Well,
I just ordered a used 08 Cobalt leather steering wheel with the audio controls from Schram auto. I don't really like the plastic steering wheel in my 09 HHR LS. I sure hope the wiring harness is the same from 08 to 09. I post my results when I do the swap. It might be awhile, it is a little cold in Chicagoland....

Edit:
If anyone (hint ChevyMgr) has the procedure to properly replace the steering wheel, that would be greatly appreciated. I don't wnat an airbag going off as I try this...
see if this helps https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...eel#post309230
Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Thanks. It looks like it might. Now I have another concern, the clock spring. At first I was worried about disconnecting the airbag properly. Now I have to be careful with this clock spring. Yikes. I hope I have not bit off more than I can chew....
Old 01-07-2009, 04:35 PM

The clock spring should be no problem if you are removing the steering wheel. Just disconnect the connector from the air bag, (from the air bag side) remove the wheels connector and then remove the bolt holding the wheel on. remove steering wheel. It is that simple. The new steering wheel just goes in to it's place, connect the connectors and away you go.

I installed a Cobalt SS wheel on my 2008.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Founding Member

As requested in a PM here is the procedure on removing the steering wheel. 2 main things here are to DISABLE THE SIR SYSTEM and to have a GOOD steering wheel puller. It doesn't have to be the special tool mentioned in the repair procedure but if you don't have a good puller I wouldn't attempt this repair.

2008 Chevrolet HHR | HHR (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 1737885
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:  airbag.gif
Views: 537
Size:  31.5 KB

Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement

Callout Component Name

Caution: Refer to SIR Inflator Module Handling and Storage Caution in the Preface section.

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in the Preface section.

Preliminary Procedures
Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling . (disconnect the negative battery cable and pull the SIR fuse)
On the back side of the steering wheel are 2 openings, place the wheel so that one opening is on top.
Using a blunt-ended tool, push the spring fastener inward through the access hole. Repeat the step for the other opening.

1 Module, Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint

Tip

Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Chevrolet HHR | HHR (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 1620179
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steering Wheel Replacement

Name:  strg wheel.gif
Views: 513
Size:  15.6 KB

Callout Component Name

Preliminary Procedure
Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.

1 Remove the Steering Wheel Nut

2 Remove the Steering Wheel (see special tools note)

Special Tools
• J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller

• J 36541-A Steering Wheel Puller Legs

Tighten
41 N·m (30 lb ft)
Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 AM

Thank you ChevyMgr. Your help is really appreciated!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Has Chevy possibly changed anything with the 2009? I can’t seem to get the center Horn/Airbag assembly out. When I look through those two holes there is white plastic visible. What seems to me to be pushing very hard does nothing except slide off those white plastic parts. Is the direction of force suppose to line up with the steering wheel center or elsewhere?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 PM

On my 2008, it is push straight and level....

Cajun / Al

Quick Reply: Adding radio buttons on steering wheel