"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Adding radio buttons on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:29 PM

I replaced the stock plastic steering wheel with a leather one from eBay in my '07 1LT this weekend. The info from this forum and a little help from the neighbor made it a pretty easy job. I wasn't able to get the old wheel off without a puller, which is where the neighbor's help came in. I removed two fuses from the interior fuse panel that seemed to be air-bag related - numbers 13 and 24, if I remember correctly. I took a while to get the airbag removed, until I figured out that I was trying to press on the wrong thing - went quickly once I got the right procedure.

In any case, everything is working fine. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread for their help!

TomK
Mpls, MN
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM

Frustation with radio control mod!!

Hi all,

I got the parts today (Switch, cover and harness) to install the steering wheel radio controls. After fighting with the main harness disconnect, I got everything installed. I then discovered 2 problems: 1.) the cruise/infomation center no longer works, and 2.) the radio control buttons light up with the running lights, but do not function. As far as the cruise goes, I checked the plug that goes into the switch, and the wires were not in the same order as the plug on the original unit. With the radio control, I don't know. Any ideas? I used the number 15234343 for the harness, but it is definitely put together differently than the original. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 PM

Somewhere buried in this thread there is people that have experienced the same issue! That is why alot just purchase the Wheel with Controlls already installed and it becomes a plug and play! Make sure to start with is the Cruise Control wires should be located in the same locations in both the new plug as in the old plug! The Radio side wires will then install in the other slots! Somewhere in my notes I have the wires (colored and numbered for the plug)! PM me if you need more info!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 PM

The start of this post was 05/07/06 there have been a few updates to it over the years. in 07 the style of the switchs was changed and later that year some pin read outs was also changed. Moving the wire location is very easy. take a pin or a small paper clip and look at the conector real close on one side is a small hole or slot push the pin or clip in easy as you pull the wire out. do the same on the other wire you have to move they just push back in. NOTE the way that the wire came out as to what side was up or down so to install the same way. I know that this whole post is long but if you read back throught it I am sure you will find the pin locations and wire color you need to make it work good luck take your time and look it over and I am sure it will work out for you
Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 PM

OK - Figured it out. I have the '08 HHR and the wires ARE in a different order on both the cruise/info side and radio control side. Switched them to their proper location and we are now stylin' with radio controls on the wheel!

08 silverstone wagon 1LT, 2.2, radio controls, graphics coming, hopefully running boards as well
Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 PM

SEE you did it' you go guy
Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM

My First Mod

So for my first mod I chose this one. But, as things go, I got a leather wrapped cobalt wheel from a local source with the audio controls. It was an 08 cobalt and I am driving an 09 HHR. So I did the simple thing of removing the airbag to take a look. I have decided to wait to replace the wheel for a weekend with my Dad's garage (and tools- you know how that goes) but figured I would get the controls installed. The harness look like it would plug in straight off but I noticed the horn plug in is different in these two models. I figured I could remove the horn mount and trade it out but just thought I would pause for advice. Do I have to switch the pins out on the harness since I am just replacing it with the stock one, but of different years? Has anyone gone halfway with this and just did the steering wheel controls without the wheel? I am more than capable in pinning things out or cutting the horn plug and melding it with the other harness, but would it make more sense to just get the harness listed in the previous posts? Some kindly advice would be GREATLY appreciated. If I am beating a dead horse... Well thanks for listening anyway...!!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by gr8wierd1
So for my first mod I chose this one. But, as things go, I got a leather wrapped cobalt wheel from a local source with the audio controls. It was an 08 cobalt and I am driving an 09 HHR. So I did the simple thing of removing the airbag to take a look. I have decided to wait to replace the wheel for a weekend with my Dad's garage (and tools- you know how that goes) but figured I would get the controls installed. The harness look like it would plug in straight off but I noticed the horn plug in is different in these two models. I figured I could remove the horn mount and trade it out but just thought I would pause for advice. Do I have to switch the pins out on the harness since I am just replacing it with the stock one, but of different years? Has anyone gone halfway with this and just did the steering wheel controls without the wheel? I am more than capable in pinning things out or cutting the horn plug and melding it with the other harness, but would it make more sense to just get the harness listed in the previous posts? Some kindly advice would be GREATLY appreciated. If I am beating a dead horse... Well thanks for listening anyway...!!
The wheel I got was off a pontiac, and there were some minor differences like the plug you mention. However when I went to put on the controls, I found the mounting screws were in slightly different locations. It would only work if I swapped the whole steering wheel, which I did. Check and see if the mounting screws for the bezels are in the same place.
You will almost certainly need a steering wheel puller, mine took a lot of pressure to break it loose.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:15 PM

very good instructions...cant wait...
Old 04-01-2010, 01:07 PM

I did this mod to my 08 panel ls. Found the problem with the cruise wires being changed and got that straight. All buttons now work... BUT the lights on the buttons stopped working after I had been driving for about 15 minutes, buttons still work correctly. Any thoughts?

BTW - if you have to change the wires on the cruise or radio connector plugs.... use a small pin or paper clip, press down the silver tab in the tiny hole on the back of the connector, slide the wire out, pull the tab back up slightly and replace the wire in its proper location (match the plug you removed).

Quick Reply: Adding radio buttons on steering wheel