"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Discontinuing the XM Radio “Band” on the radio!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
1) At this point you do not know for a fact if your "Rental" vehicle was wired at the factory for XM, so just asking somebody for their XM Radio module may do you no good. Adding the wires would be a bear IMHO.
I understand your opinion, but I have run XM antennas and installed my own stereos for many vehicles. The HHR's panels and interior is very easy to work with as well. I also have a nice wire "snake" that I use for electrical wires, so that is another option.
2) Another possibility is the XM Module may be wired and present, just not turned on via programming.
I just took off the rear plastic panel over the passenger rear wheel, there is no XM nor OnStar/Bluetooth modules.
3) There maybe other options I am not thinking of.
4) Thus you need more information to know what to ask for. This I believe is your main problem - getting information!
I have called my local dealer to discuss the possibility of adding back the OnStar/Bluetooth modules. When he calls me back I can ask them about this as well.

*Go to the top of this thread and expose that connector and see if that RD/WH wire is in connector cavity #4 as well as cavities 5 - 8 being populated; these are all XM Radio related. If not your vehicle never got wired for XM. Just for giggles you could look at cavities 1 - 3, they are for OnStar Cellular. Speakers are on cavities 9 - 12. Passenger heated seat is on 13 - 15. #16 is not used.
OK, funny thing: Checked the Red Retainer clip and it is just dangling there. it honestly looks as though because I don't have XM nor OnStar, that wiring loom is missing/was never installed. I am thinking it goes back to the rear passenger quarter panel to the modules. Since I don't have them, there is no wires back there.

Myself, I have deactivated my Radio to not recognize the XM as you know from this thread, but would not consider removing it - as it would be way too much trouble. Besides I would like to leave it for the next owner or in case I change my mind.
I hear ya. I actually found a nice package that will let me install a different XM radio to the factory head unit, so if I desire, will install that one.

EDIT: There is one thing I do know for sure: Bluetooth can not be added via factory components, ChevyMgr has made this very clear in another post. I remember it well.
Well, here's the thing, I have heard that rental companies get special configurations that they order from various manufacturers... for example, they order the HHR LT2 but no OnStar/Bluetooth module. Considering the fact that I have the Red Module plug, I would concievably just need the module/ECM units, wiring, antenna and mirror and it would be good to go after install. What bugs me is that I have the Bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel but they don't do anything. If I can't, then I may just do a Lockpick with 3rd party bluetooth... that or just go completely aftermarket provided it has built in bluetooth and steering wheel controls.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by WorldOfJohnboy
Well, here's the thing, I have heard that rental companies get special configurations that they order from various manufacturers... for example, they order the HHR LT2 but no OnStar/Bluetooth module. Considering the fact that I have the Red Module plug, I would concievably just need the module/ECM units, wiring, antenna and mirror and it would be good to go after install. What bugs me is that I have the Bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel but they don't do anything. If I can't, then I may just do a Lockpick with 3rd party bluetooth... that or just go completely aftermarket provided it has built in bluetooth and steering wheel controls.
I've never understood how GM or any other manufacturer could build and sell a vehicle to a rental company fully knowing it will be sold to an end user at a future date and make no provision to easily give the subsequent owner the features the vehicle would normally have. This is bad customer service IMO. I understand "why" the rental company does not want the features in a rental vehicle - too many dumb people and too much maintenance. I'm now very happy I did not buy the rental that was shown to me.

You say that connector is dangling, strange that connector(male) is the one in my vehicle that goes to the associated XM, seat heaters and cellular/OnStar. If it is dangling could it be it is just not plugged in. The female “source” connector is mounted to the side of the kick panel area and "feeds" the circuits to those devices. Did you check at the rear 1/4 panel for the OnStar and XM connectors? Perhaps it is wired and things are hidden?

The right hand buttons on the steering wheel serve a duel purpose - they control the radio volume, stations and mute; the big button is mute. If they truly do "nothing" then you have more problems. That switch/control circuit is wired directly to the radio head, it has its own ground reference and a 10VDC control circuit. The switch is nothing but a voltage divider, changing the resistance between the two leads as different buttons are pressed. Possibility it is not plugged in under the airbag?

I suspect that after you do the physical additions the vehicle will have to be programmed by the dealer to recognize the additions. From my reading thru the FSM each module communicates via a CAN bus to the others.

Good luck