Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hhr 2008

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 AM

Arrow Hhr 2008

I have a 2008 HHR that I brought from my cousin, 170,000 miles, bought it in August 2012. The car was in in good running and mechanical condition wt the time. Now I have 235,000 miles the I started having trouble with the HHR turning over/cranking in Spring of 2014 (200,000 miles). The check engine light came on, I have to crank it two or three times before it will turn over. I had it diagnosed which the service department that sells Chevrolet told me it was my fuel pump pressure regulator. I had it diagnosed at a Chevrolet dealership which they had multiple things that could be wrong but not the fuel pump regulator was causing the problem. I took it to another car service place to have work done as the Chevrolet dealership was outrageous with the repair prices. I had $1400.00 of work done. I had all that work done to my HHR and it is still not turning over/cranking on the first try and check engine light still comes on and goes off. I am a senior on a very, very fixed income and cannot spend out any more money. I would appreciate if I could get a new HHR in better condition and let someone else take mines and try to figure out what the problem is. I also have a transmission oil leak as well now. Help!!!
pjHHR08
Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! I moved this to introduction threads
Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome - sorry to hear of the problems you have been encountering.

However, if you are asking to swap HHR's for one in better condition, that is very very unlikely to happen.

Generally, when it takes 2 or 3 tries to get the engine running like you describe, the cause is a faulty pressure regulator. Unfortunately the regulator is part of the Fuel Pump, meaning that the fuel pump needs to be replaced. If you happen to know what the Error Code was when it was downloaded from the Check Engine Light, post it here to help with the diagnosis.

After spending $1400 on repairs that did not resolve the problem, I would be back at the shops door asking for a refund or a fix.

You don't say where the transmission is leaking from, but if it is from the output shaft, that often just requires a seal be replaced, and they are not very expensive to have fixed.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Technical Moderator

I don't understand "crank it two or three times before it will turn over."

To my mind crank and turn over are the same thing.

What are the code NUMBERS? You can go to any Autozone/O'reilly/Advance and have them read the OBDII codes. Then come back here and post them. We don't care what the description is only the P0xxx.

My suspicion, based on what I think you mean is the EVAP purge valve (under the hood) is bad.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Ahhh - right - the EVAP purge valve!!!!! Dang I hate it when the actual error codes are not given. Hopefully she will post it/them, and we can go from there to help narrow it down.

Good one donbrew.