Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New Guy with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 AM

New Guy with Questions

Hello Everyone! Just bought my 08 SS Automatic. I have a few questions. One is i want to hear the BOV. so im assuming i need to install an aftermarket one that vents to Atmosphere ( unless there is a trick to get the stock one to do it) and i want to hear the turbo spool, so im assuming an aftermarket intake?? . Which BOV do i need to get that will be the easiest to install. What all is needed when installing and is there a writeup anywhere. Second is do i need a tune when installing one. And also i have HP Tuners, What do i need to do to unlock the potential in the car. 230hp is ok but i know she has more just waiting to come out. Any help will be appreciated.

PS. this isnt my first rodeo. I rebuilt my 01 Z28's LS1 when it had a rod bearing go out. So i know how to turn a wrench. I also work at a GM Dealership so if i dont know i have people who do.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Banned

Welcome! Suggestion? Go back and get a 5sp SS for 260hp and a quicker jump to 300hp with mods.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the HHR family, lots of answers to that question, stg 1 or tune or both
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 AM

welcome to the site. i personally would highly recommend NOT doing a vta bov on the stock setup. 1. it's ricer & 2. there's too much money involved. the stock bpv setup can easily be heard with just an upgraded hot side charge pipe.

as for power, there's TONS of potential with this engine/turbo setup. as i post below, the GM Turbo Upgrade (GMTU) will bump you from 230hp to 290hp and is covered under warranty..... but if you don't care about warranty like some of us, then get in contact with someone who has experience with tuning the LNF and use your HPTuners to have some fun. i recommend upgrading the hot side charge pipe, intercooler & catless downpipe before doing so. (those are the main restrictions, cold side is fine & stock catback is good also. stock hot side charge pipe & intercooler plastic endtanks like to blow up. stock downpipe has 2 massive cats in them.) for part manufactures my recommendation would be ZZPerformance.

if you REALLY want to do a vta bov, here's the proper parts list needed to make happen:

upgraded cold side charge pipe w/ MAF relocation kit
block off plate for stock bpv
upgraded hot side charge pipe w/ flange for bov
bov
hptuners (to properly dial in the maf)

Originally Posted by MeijerLPO
Welcome! Suggestion? Go back and get a 5sp SS for 260hp and a quicker jump to 300hp with mods.
you do know that after a tune the automatics jump right up with the manuals, right? so with the GMTU it'll go from the rated 230hp to 290hp, just like the manual goes from 260hp to 290hp.

nothing wrong with the auto.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Thanks! yea not concerned with warranty as its already up. Is there anything i can do with my HPtuners today to get a little more power out of it with the stock setup, until i can order parts and whatnot. Just trying to do something on it since i already have HPtuners. Any place to DL Tune files on this site? and someone was saying to do an ethanol tune? i dont have e85 where im located. thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM

If you want to hear the turbo spool get a catless downpipe.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by NeXuS
Hello Everyone! Just bought my 08 SS Automatic. I have a few questions. One is i want to hear the BOV. so im assuming i need to install an aftermarket one that vents to Atmosphere ( unless there is a trick to get the stock one to do it) and i want to hear the turbo spool, so im assuming an aftermarket intake?? . Which BOV do i need to get that will be the easiest to install. What all is needed when installing and is there a writeup anywhere. Second is do i need a tune when installing one. And also i have HP Tuners, What do i need to do to unlock the potential in the car. 230hp is ok but i know she has more just waiting to come out. Any help will be appreciated.

PS. this isnt my first rodeo. I rebuilt my 01 Z28's LS1 when it had a rod bearing go out. So i know how to turn a wrench. I also work at a GM Dealership so if i dont know i have people who do.

Thanks!
My $.02...don't bother with the vta bov. The work involved to install it is not worth the time, money, or headache. If youwant to hear your turbo and the sound of your stock bov then all you need to do is take off the lid on your air box. BIG difference!!!. Also upgrade to a Forge bpv. They sound better and the stock valve is prone to failure.
I also wanted to upgrade to a vta bov but the stock unit works very well and still sounds great with the air box lid off.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM

you could give it a light tune, nothing too aggressive, to give it a good bit more pep. since you have HPTuners, jump on the HPTuners forums and see if anyone on there has a "basic" tune they could send you to load. good luck
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Deceased

to the forum NeXuS!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks guys. I saw the huge air box up top. i haven't opened it, but taking the lid off.. wouldn't that let unfiltered air in? i guess i need to poke around on this thing and see whats what. And yea ill take a look on the HPTuner forum.

Quick Reply: New Guy with Questions