Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Took me long enough...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:55 PM

Took me long enough...

I posted up in 2011 that I was looking at HHRs. Well, I'm finally about to buy one, hopefully this Friday.

Ironically, when I was looking before, I'd decided that any might work except a full panel. Well, that's what I'm buying! The need to occasionally haul passengers with good fuel economy will be filled my my wife's 2013 Sonic. I'm buying a 2008 2LT Panel, 2.4L manual trans in bright red. 60k miles, immaculate condition. It'll be my business vehicle, but I plan to take very good care of it, as the previous owner did.

I'll post up some pics once I get it! Trying to decide what to do for Bluetooth through the radio. May transfer my current 1din stereo from my current car until Android Auto head units come down more in price. Cheapest currently is $500, and I just can't justify that, at least not in the immediate future. Also thinking of a short shifter.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 PM

Congrats on the decision. And I'm glad that you found a vehicle that will serve your business needs while still maintaining the passenger capability with your wife's vehicle. A junkyard find of a full rear seat may come to you if you decide to add it. There's a few threads on here about it and quit a few people have done it. Again, congrats!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by SuKi
Congrats on the decision. And I'm glad that you found a vehicle that will serve your business needs while still maintaining the passenger capability with your wife's vehicle. A junkyard find of a full rear seat may come to you if you decide to add it. There's a few threads on here about it and quit a few people have done it. Again, congrats!
Yeah, I've seen them. I don't know if I'll go that route or not. Thinking back on how I've used my current biz vehicle, I probably have someone in the back seat like once a year, and we generally could've taken their car. So the extra storage pockets might be more worthwhile use of the space. :)

I'll be reading through old threads, but any advice on things to immediately check/replace/do when I get the HHR?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by PurdueGuy
Yeah, I've seen them. I don't know if I'll go that route or not. Thinking back on how I've used my current biz vehicle, I probably have someone in the back seat like once a year, and we generally could've taken their car. So the extra storage pockets might be more worthwhile use of the space. :)

I'll be reading through old threads, but any advice on things to immediately check/replace/do when I get the HHR?
After the years I've been in these forums here is a list of semi guaranteed failures : sway bar links, sway bar bushings, front lower control arm bushings (rearward bushing) , vvt solenoids if applicable, rear shocks get weak with age like any car, and check the front struts as well. You may notice a sort of jumpiness when driving at around 40 mph but that is somewhat normal across the board I think for alot of members. Some pinned it down to a throttle position sensor. IDK. over all, these cars are very reliable and damn near bullet proof. If you live in a rusty state expect the typical rustable parts to.... Er ..... Rust. Lol. Some members are now well over 200k with little to no issues, after fixing the above of course. Also remember that these engines like oem parts. Suspension components can be aftermarket but as for plugs or most other parts always go oem. Other that that just check out everything you would normally check when looking at any car! Good luck!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
After the years I've been in these forums here is a list of semi guaranteed failures : sway bar links, sway bar bushings, front lower control arm bushings (rearward bushing) , vvt solenoids if applicable, rear shocks get weak with age like any car, and check the front struts as well. You may notice a sort of jumpiness when driving at around 40 mph but that is somewhat normal across the board I think for alot of members. Some pinned it down to a throttle position sensor. IDK. over all, these cars are very reliable and damn near bullet proof. If you live in a rusty state expect the typical rustable parts to.... Er ..... Rust. Lol. Some members are now well over 200k with little to no issues, after fixing the above of course. Also remember that these engines like oem parts. Suspension components can be aftermarket but as for plugs or most other parts always go oem. Other that that just check out everything you would normally check when looking at any car! Good luck!
Thanks for the info. Where it seems basically showroom new, I hope not to need to replace any of that right out of the gate, but of course even low miles doesn't mean time won't have taken toll on some parts.

Fortunately I live in (and am buying from) a pretty rust-free area (Idaho). The only rust I spotted on the car was on the top of the strut mount (replaceable part, not that I'd bother).
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 PM

You bought our twin...we also have a 2008 2LT Panel in Victory Red, 2.4 etc...Check out our photos, I've done a BUNCH of stuff to brighten up the interior.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMongo
You bought our twin...we also have a 2008 2LT Panel in Victory Red, 2.4 etc...Check out our photos, I've done a BUNCH of stuff to brighten up the interior.
The exteriors (minus graphics) are pretty spot-on the same, except I don't have a spoiler. Interior is pretty different, and looks like you have an auto. You've done some nice work to yours. :)