The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

10 year old girl arrested

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
As I asked before.........Where is it stated that the parents sent the knife with the child?
You may have a good point. I would assume a 10 year old child is not preparing their own lunch, and the parents are involved. That is, however, speculation on my part. I certainly hope the parents are involved, but in today's world, you never know. If the child is preparing her own lunch, I would be more upset, as this clearly is a case of bad judgment, and not malicious intent. Does bad judgment warrant a felony, 10 day suspension, and the embarrassment of being arrested? My heart just bleeds for this little girl.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
What upsets me is this girl had no malicious intent at all. All she was doing was eating her lunch. As I said the parents should know better than to send their child to school with a knife, but the punishment does not fit the crime here. Is it really necessary to charge her with a FELONY over this? A 10 year old girl? Where in the hell is the common sense here? Should there be some punishment here? Absolutely, but this is way over the line.
Don't get me wrong here. I'm sorry the girl has to go through this. The parents should be beat down for it. Hell they probably voted for it (if it went to a vote). Granted it was probably there to help with actual crimes. If the parents could have been reached , I bet it would have went no further. The policy states what the school must do. Granted they could just say this was no crime, but if something had of happened.... They made it a no tolerance policy. Once that went into effect, they let others make the call. Too bad they didn't post what the outcome actually was (or if they ever found the parents).
Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 AM

If there are zero tolerance measures in place for weapons (guns, knives, bats or whatever else) actions need to be taken. Even though this girl may not have intended to harm anyone, so other child could have noticed the knife and taken it to use against someone at the school. By bringing in the potential weapon it becomes a hazard because you don't know whose hands it might fall into.

Either you gotta do away with protection and let everyone fend for themselves or you have to create strict laws and follow them.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Founding Member

I have a 10 year old daughter and if she was arrested like this I would have gone postal on the police and the school, not to mention I would spend every last dime to sue them for all I could get. This is nothing but paranoid BS. Don't you think a pencil to an eyeball or the jugular or the chest, would be just as dangerous. Are we going to ban the good old number 2 pencil too? This could have and should have been handled better by all parties. There is always a better solution then the detention and expelling of a 10 year old girl who was eating, not threatening with the knife.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:21 PM

If she had done that in Canada she would have been tasered first!
Old 12-19-2007, 12:25 PM

I'm surprised that the school and (potentially) other neighbouring schools didn't go into lockdown
Old 12-19-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Don't get me wrong here. I'm sorry the girl has to go through this. The parents should be beat down for it. Hell they probably voted for it (if it went to a vote). Granted it was probably there to help with actual crimes. If the parents could have been reached , I bet it would have went no further. The policy states what the school must do. Granted they could just say this was no crime, but if something had of happened.... They made it a no tolerance policy. Once that went into effect, they let others make the call. Too bad they didn't post what the outcome actually was (or if they ever found the parents).
I, for the most part, agree with you. It is a no tolerance policy, and whoever the person was that thought taking a knife to school was OK should be punished. Given this circumstance, I feel this little girl is being unfairly and unjustly punished. Perhaps my problem is I've looked at this as a father, and know how upset I would be if this were my daughter. As ChevyMgr said, I would go postal (figure of speech of course) on someone. But then again I wouldn't send my kids to school with a knife either, so I don't think I have to worry about it. What it comes down to me is, given the evidence that I have read, this was simply bad judgment, and this seems to be a very high price for a 10 year old girl to pay. For a bad decision, she is going to miss 10 days of school, and have to accept or fight felony charges that will follow her until she is at least 18, if not longer. The felony charges were brought after it was clear this was nothing malicious. That is going way too far IMO.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
If she had done that in Canada she would have been tasered first!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

This happens many times a day, every day of the week. Everyone who hears about it gets stirred up for a while, but no action is ever taken. "No Tolerance" has been going on for the better part of 20 years and every once in a while some kid will get made an example of and everyone else will learn not to bring a knife to school. It's ridiculous and stupid, but people don't seem willing to vote out the school boards and administrations that come up with this stuff.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:21 PM

while the actions taken seem over the top, if they let her slide how long before some punk ass brings his/her own steak knife 'for lunch' only to ruin other peoples' lives? or as stated above, that punk ass takes the knife and does so?? sad that the nanny state thing is even a thought. you give the schools discretion and there'd be law suits for failure to protect left and right. again, sad.

Quick Reply: 10 year old girl arrested