The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

10 year old girl arrested

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 PM

I think that everyone in general overreacted there. Aren't kids allowed to make a mistake anymore? If this is what a child has to look forward to then maybe I won't have one.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 PM

<------------- Is . This is embarassing....
Old 12-19-2007, 11:55 PM

I understand that we need zero tolerance now a days, but think about it, there has been weapons brought into schools for many of years. I even remember it from when I went to school. (No I didn't) but know of some who did. Its just know the media gets things out more than yrs ago. But in a case like this, did the parents send the knife along with her lunch, if so, she more than likely thought it was ok then. The parents are at fault, and taught her some bad judgement skills. Hell, anything can be made into a weapon, you would be surprise at the **** I have seen made into weapons when I worked for the Federal Prison system. (I know thats differant).
Old 12-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Banned

Zero Tolerance is nothing more than an ass-covering doctrine adopted by school districts to cover themselves in case some kid DOES shiv up a classroom. ZT actually doesn't really prevent any sort of violence because kids who want to bring weapons to school are going to do it anyway.

I remember 12 years ago in high school, one art student on the yearbook staff got suspended because she brought an x-acto knife in to cut up some pictures for a collage.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Daverb
anything can be made into a weapon, you would be surprise at the stuff I have seen made into weapons when I worked for the Federal Prison system. (I know thats differant).
different, nope they about the same just no armed guards and get to go home on regular basis. have a warden aka principal, different gangs aka clicks(sp), told what you gonna do and when (classes).
Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Zero Tolerance is nothing more than an ass-covering doctrine adopted by school districts to cover themselves in case some kid DOES shiv up a classroom. ZT actually doesn't really prevent any sort of violence because kids who want to bring weapons to school are going to do it anyway.

I remember 12 years ago in high school, one art student on the yearbook staff got suspended because she brought an x-acto knife in to cut up some pictures for a collage.
But, as soon as that kid stabs someone, then everyone wants to know why no teacher did anything when they saw the kid with it.

Your not going to make everyone happy. But I would rather see rules in place that may serve good than to see what could happen if they were not there. Most parents today are lazy. They don't teach their kids. They rely on the school system to do everything. Then ***** when it doesn't go their way. They whine when something is not to their liking, even worse, they scream when something worse happens. You can't have it both ways. This was a simple problem that was either the parents didn't know (which they should have) about the policy, or they are so lazy they make their 10 y/o make her own lunch unsupervised. Both cases, lazy parents IMO. Society today is mean in general. Kids are even worse, they always have been. We teach our child right and wrong. We tell her why also. She gets punished for stupid things like spitting. Why? AS an adult, to that to a cop. See what happens.

Again, I'm sorry the little girl had to go through this. I hope there is no permanent record about it. I would hate for that to follow her the rest of her life. All for something stupid the parents should have easily prevented. People want to complain and are just "sue" happy these days. They don't want to read and follow the rules. This is what adults "teach" their kids. My wife worked in a day care for 7 years until we had ours. It's amazing, no shocking what 2 y/o's say and do. This is what they see from mom and dad. Disipline is out the window for the most part these days. Then parents ***** when something like this happens.

Zero Tolerance is nothing more than an ass-covering doctrine
It's black and white. That is what rules have always been. Now it has a new name. Question is, reading this will some become a better "teacher".
Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 AM

I agree with Solman's comments in his second last paragraph.

I think it's time to stop blaming the rules that are created to protect us and our children. It's not the rules that are not working, it's not enforcement, it's not any of that stuff. The problems is within society. It's easy to see that adults and kids are behaving in unlawful and hurtful ways. Shootings and murders shouldn't happen but they will, it's understandable. I never thought I'd see or hear children shooting each other, stabbing each other, killing each others. Until society does a 180 and really decides to clean up their act as a whole things like this will keep happening and tougher measures will be enforced to try to protect people. If you want your freedoms and don't want stupid protection laws show the people in charge that there exists a high level of responsibility.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Great post....Solman.

Wish "teech" was still around. He ALWAYS had great, worthy and intelligent posts regarding school "systems".

It would be interesting to get his professional view as a teacher.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:48 PM

Back in the day, a good spanking would have solved everything.... society went to **** when they abolished spanking in schools, and worse so when made it almost impossible for parents to spank their own kids with out reprisal from Child Services.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR
Back in the day, a good spanking would have solved everything.... society went to **** when they abolished spanking in schools, and worse so when made it almost impossible for parents to spank their own kids with out reprisal from Child Services.
How true, couldn't agree more. If I got into trouble in school or did something wrong in front of another friends parent I got WHACKED on the ASS. Go home tell your parents, hell I got WHACKED ON THE ASS again. Time to turn the clock back.

Quick Reply: 10 year old girl arrested