The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Changing Muffler AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 PM

If it's a good quality unit and YOU like the sound, what could be wrong?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 AM

In the old days most of the hot rodders would put a set of glass pack mufflers on their car but only to satisfy the state requirement that there be mufflers on the car.

When I had a badge and gun I could and would write tickets for excessive noise that usually accompanied a ticket for ‘exhibition of power and speed’ generally when someone would be doing burnouts all over town.

When someone would get a loud muffler ticket they had 3 days to put something quieter on their buggy. They then had to take their vehicle to the county sheriff department where there was a db meter to test how loud it was.

If they passed the test they were sent on their way, if it did not they got an additional ‘fixit’ ticket and had another three days to comply. If they failed a third time the car could be impounded. If it was impounded the sheriff would have it towed to a garage where a complete stock legal exhaust system would be installed at the owners expense.

If you happened to have after market headers on your car they were scrapped and stock cast iron exhaust manifolds were installed to it could get real expensive real fast so most folks would put something close to stock on right away, pass the test, then put their glass packs back on.

Since the sheriff department drove Fords at the time they would almost always have the local Ford dealer do the work.

The real idea of putting glass pack mufflers on your vehicle was that it would give your exhaust a more mellow note. They were intended to be used with a conventional muffler. The conventional muffler was there to insure proper back pressure on the valves and to quiet the machine down.

The hot rodders liked the loud sound and made the same argument that the bikers make now that loud pipes save lives. {to me its just irritating}

That is another argument that makes no sense to me but it goes on. Personally I like to be able to sneak up on people, its tough to do that at 190 db.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 AM

Thanks guys. I Hope it is going to be 'loud' enough, & Grizzly, I appreciate your liking to be able to sneak up on people, after all you are a cop. (Even if you are retired). Me, I am Probably one of those you would pull over because I like to be 'different' & not be a number amongst the rest. When someone sees a Jeep coming I want them to know that it's ME, not just one of the rest that are around. I want to be heard 1st then saw later. Well, Thanks for your input guys! Keep the comments coming, whether FOR or AGAINST the idea, I STILL WANT your opinion! (Yes I know, I'm Asking for it!)
Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 PM

I put on a 12" cherrybomb glasspack on. That's as close to straight pipe as I could get. (Mufflers are a necessity in PA.) Sounds better now. Thanks to All!