The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Congress approves more efficient vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:03 AM

The auto industry was given the task to increase fuel mileage. They did not for the most part. Now they are being forced to do so or else. It was easier to find a 40mpg car in 1980 than it is now.

This isn't new folks. It started in the '70's. The auto industry's free ride is over.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Banned

Cars that are more costly to build will resort in more outsourcing. Say goodbye to the American auto worker!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:28 AM

Say goodbye to the 500 HP mustang, viper and corvette. This is exactly what killed the muscle car, and now that performance cars are back, we are killing them again. It's sad when you think we have substantial oil in our own country but can't touch it because of environmentalists. It's OK for Cuba, Venezuela, and others to drill off our Gulf Coast, but we better not go there! Oil is the fuel the world runs on, and there is plenty to keep us going for years to come right here in our own borders, we just have to get the nerve to stand up and say "let's go get it". Necessity is the mother of invention. When time is running short (it's no where near here yet) technology will produce an alternative fuel, but until that time, oil is the best source of fuel we have. Sure we should explore alternatives, but not at the expense of oil.

Let's face it, people don't want to drive around in a crackerjack box car that has a top speed of 70, and takes forever to get there downhill. This is just another case of the minority taking freedom away from the majority and telling them what they have to drive. Just my

I realize this won't be a popular opinion here, but it's how I honestly feel.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
Say goodbye to the 500 HP mustang, viper and corvette.
Not necessarily. They'll just have to get creative. Tesla Motors already has a sports car that runs on lithium ion batteries that is 100% electric, gets 135 mpg equivalent, and goes 0-60 in 4 sec. Then you have: 800HP Bio Rocket. Sure, new technology costs more at first but so did microwaves, plasma tv's, and every other new and improved thing we bought.
Don't forget this bill also increases energy efficiency standards for many appliances, lighting, and even commercial/goverment buildings.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Cars that are more costly to build will resort in more outsourcing. Say goodbye to the American auto worker!
Don't forget about import tax on automobiles except for NAFTA due to struggling domestic auto industry while back ago. That's why the imports have US factories to save money. The reason it is a federal reason not a state issue is because it is a interstate commerce issue same for airbags, seatbelts, and now tire pressure monitor system.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
It's sad when you think we have substantial oil in our own country but can't touch it because of environmentalists. It's OK for Cuba, Venezuela, and others to drill off our Gulf Coast, but we better not go there! Oil is the fuel the world runs on, and there is plenty to keep us going for years to come right here in our own borders, we just have to get the nerve to stand up and say "let's go get it". Necessity is the mother of invention. When time is running short (it's no where near here yet) technology will produce an alternative fuel, but until that time, oil is the best source of fuel we have. Sure we should explore alternatives, but not at the expense of oil.

Let's face it, people don't want to drive around in a crackerjack box car that has a top speed of 70, and takes forever to get there downhill. This is just another case of the minority taking freedom away from the majority and telling them what they have to drive. Just my

I realize this won't be a popular opinion here, but it's how I honestly feel.
I don't think that the matter at hand here is the use of oil as a primary fuel. This boils down to how much fuel you are using to get from A to B. Fuel efficiency is crucial to helping protect our environment. I've never been an environmentalist and they can make my work awfully difficult (Exploration Geologist, oil and gas) but why take the risk of potentially harming something when you don't have to. What good does a 500hp muscle car do you when you commute in bumper to bumper traffic at 15mph getting 10mpg?? No one wants to take away the fun and enjoyment from the automobile they just want to make them more efficient. Another way to lessen the load on the environment is to use the right car for the right purpose. For a nice sunday cruise down the back roads take out the gas sucking muscle car, for everyday commuting you don't need much more than a shoebox on wheels.

Why do we not have 40 and 50mpg diesels here in North America? They exist in Europe. I don't want to get into a debate about diesel technology from 15 or 20 years ago and how bad they pollute because that was back in the day and things have changed.

The Euro's have much more efficeint gas engines than NA's. I don't know if they are tuned differently, run on different fuel or have different reporting standards but the 1.8L ecotec in the Astra gets 24/32mpg in NA and 28.5/38.7mpg in Europe (city/highway) So what's the difference?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 PM

I remember years ago hearing about a guy who designed a carburator that managed to give a car something like 50mpg, and that was in the 50s.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:25 AM

From the White House: Energy for America's Future