The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

If you like Steam trains...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by mitzkity
The train I really love is the sort of Stainless Steel looking one, that went from Chicago to California --and it's kind of Art Deco looking. Not steam, of course, but does anyone know what that one was called? It may have started in grand Central station and gone to Chicago? I'd love some websites if you know any. [/url]
During the hey-day of trains, there were four main trains that went from Chicago to California; The Super Chief (there was also The Chief and later the El Capitan, all Santa Fe trains). The Super Chief was all stainless steel train, and was always disel, never steam.

The Union Pacific ran the City of Los Angeles and the Burlington, Denver Rio Grand and Western Pacific teamed up and ran the California Zepher. I'm sure you are talking about the Zepher which concluded it's trip in Oakland, CA. My parents rode the very last East Bound and West Bound Zepher in February of 1969. The East bound train got stuck in snow and was snow-bound for 8 hours. No one on the trained cared because they were all railroad buffs.

The Rock Island Railroad also ran a train from Chicago to California. "The Rock Island jointly operated the Golden State Limited (Chicago—Kansas City—Tucumcari—El Paso—Los Angeles) with the Southern Pacific Railroad (SP) from 1902–1968." (Excerpt from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago...cific_Railroad)
Old 12-26-2007, 10:29 PM

What incredibly wonderful photos... I think trains are stupendous - and yes yes yes - it is the Zephyr - thank your wonderful brains!!! Sorry to hijack since it wasn't steam, but I knew you could steer me right. My other fav is the CHESSIE cars...aren't they cool?