The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

National day of Slayer

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:35 PM

Yup, I also thought this was gonna be about Tom. Shucks...
Old 05-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

My wife was making fun of me earlier about the whole national day of Slayer holiday. She told me I had to stay in my Slayer pit all day (the basement). I love the way they worded everything in a humorous way on the website. I might throw a Slayer party like they recommend but I don't think I'll elevate it too the suggested level. The new Slayer album was supposed to come out on 6/6/06 but the pushed it back to July. I think Tom's personal website is supposed to launch that day. It's going to be a tough day for me though because the new Kottonmouth Kings album comes out on 6/6/06 so I'm going to want to listen to it but I can resist the temptation for a national holiday. Luckily one of the local record stores is opening at midnight so I can buy the new KMK and listen to it before I celebrate the holiday.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:24 PM

CH - funny you should mention how your wife makes fun of you because of your loyalty to Slayer. My wife does the same, or at least she used to. I used to watch all the specials on Metal/Hair Bands/Least Metal Moments, etc. My wife got hooked on them (she loves lists!), and then realized that a bunch of the songs she liked growing up somehow fell into the same category. You know, the shows would have a section on Anthrax, then Motorhead, and then Skid Row or Slaughter? Yeah, I know, they're not the same, but these shows put'em together. Anyway, the important thing is that I now raise my son (4 yrs. old next month) in the true tradition of Metal greatness - funniest thing is when he goes through the CD collection and asks me tons of questions about all of the Iron Maiden album (cd) covers with Eddie.....
Old 05-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Banned

I was lucky enough to see Iron Maiden on their last US tour before they Bruce left the band and everything kind of went to hell. Testament opened for them. I still love Testament! The song Nightmare on Practice What You Preach still rocks to this day. Well that song and many others.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:56 PM

I know what you mean by "still rocks to this day" - just this morning, my son and I were cruising down the freeway to work (in the HHR, of course) and he said "Dad, I wanna listen to rock and roll". Well, I have taught him that Metal is the path to all good music - what a good boy! (Remember, he'll be 4 next month) Anyway, I put on "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue, thinking he'd want something that was somewhat subdued, seeing as it wasn't even 7 a.m. yet. His response? "No, dad, the other rock and roll." I then scrolled through the iPod and found Maiden's "Fear of the Dark", the live version, and cranked it up - like you said, it still rocks to this day.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned

Motley Crue is one of the few bands my wife and I can agree on. She has a soft spot for hair metal. Since she has been with me she has kind of warmed up to metal a little more. Sometimes she surprizes me with what she likes out of my music, like Dio. About as heavy as she gets is older Anthrax or Korn. I can't even get her into Slipknot. There is no way I can get her into death metal, blast, or grindcore. She thinks black metal is just plain weird. She has always been a pop music type girl so she doesn't even know most classic rock. Gradually she is getting a more into rock and metal but it's been a long arduous struggle converting a Madonna fan.

Last edited by captain howdy; 05-23-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:27 PM

Careful, CH - I wouldn't publicly post that you're trying to get your wife into (a) slipknot.

I know what you mean, though - my wife has a soft spot for hair bands, too. That's tough for her, considering she's a hard-core Country gal. But then again, my taste is VERY wide - the iPod has everythign from ZZ Top to Anthrax, George Strait to Harry Connick, and TONS of Spanish music.

On a side note, the ol' lady and I went to see Kid Rock a few weeks ago here in Phoenix - talk about a kick-ass show!

Nonetheless, rock on, brother, rock on......
Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 PM

I saw Iron Maiden in San Antonio several years back - yes, me, who had never heard of Iron Maiden until 1998 when I met my husband. The show was good - the fans, well, I was exposed to things I'd never been exposed to before!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BamaHHR
I saw Iron Maiden in San Antonio several years back - yes, me, who had never heard of Iron Maiden until 1998 when I met my husband. The show was good - the fans, well, I was exposed to things I'd never been exposed to before!
Was that the tour when Bruce Dickinson rejoined the band?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:11 PM

Yes it was.

Quick Reply: National day of Slayer